Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Some photos or albums I have posted on-line (on Facebook etc) have been shared, thus crediting me as the photographer. But recently some have been "stolen" and appeared elsewhere under the name of someone else. It has not been a big deal, but I would prefer be acknowledged…. or at least a thank you would be appreciated.

Therefore, I would like to know how to watermark my work, but have not been able to find out how to do it.

I don't have any fancy photography app, just iPhoto.

Last edited:

hagr182

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
As far as I know, I could be wrong, iphoto doesn´t support this feature. Your best shot would be to buy LR or use a free photo editing software, there are a few out there like gimp that will help.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Some photos or albums I have posted on-line (on Facebook etc) have been shared, thus crediting me as the photographer. But recently some have been "stolen" and appeared elsewhere under the name of someone else. It has not been a big deal, but I would prefer be acknowledged…. or at least a thank you would be appreciated.

Therefore, I would like how to watermark my work, but have not been able to find out how to do it.

I don't have any fancy photography app, just iPhoto.

Doesn't that just piss you off!!!

Everyone says to not make the watermark intrusive, if you do that it can be cropped out.

I put the watermark right across the middle of the photo...

You can do a watermark with both Lightroom and Aperture

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Resolved

As far as I know, I could be wrong, iphoto doesn´t support this feature. Your best shot would be to buy LR or use a free photo editing software, there are a few out there like gimp that will help.

Doesn't that just piss you off!!!

Everyone says to not make the watermark intrusive, if you do that it can be cropped out.

I put the watermark right across the middle of the photo...

You can do a watermark with both Lightroom and Aperture

Thanks for the information…..

I have a Fuji X10 camera and an early 2009 Mac Mini, so iPhoto is adequate for my simple needs. Just photos to put on sports club social media pages, and a photo or two for the local press most weeks.

Aperture or Lightroom would be nice to have, but don't justify the expense at this stage.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Anything on Social Media is ripe for copyright infringement whether it's watermarked or not. SM users just don't care about that stuff. It's a see-like-take mindset. As for the local press, they should credit you whether the image is watermarked or not. They get it. Or at least did in my era...

Dale

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
There are free applications to do this. I did a search and came up with this one, I might be what you need - http://obscuredclarity.blogspot.com/2008/10/how-to-watermark-image-for-free.html

You can watermark in iPhoto thanks to the BorderFX plug-in : http://www.iborderfx.com/iborderfx/

Thanks for the links, they are certainly worth looking into.

Anything on Social Media is ripe for copyright infringement whether it's watermarked or not. SM users just don't care about that stuff. It's a see-like-take mindset. As for the local press, they should credit you whether the image is watermarked or not. They get it. Or at least did in my era...

Dale

I guess plagiarism is just something we have to live with on social media…. A pity because crediting is is easy as "sharing", thus providing a link back which folk could find useful. At work (as a university teacher) I get quite a bit, but am not so tolerant….. Not tolerant of it at all actually!

One of the local newspapers is good about crediting those who provide reports and / or photos. They have often used my photos even when they have had their own staff on the spot. I know the guy who started it quite well. He likes to do things the right way, and it shows.

The longer established one is less scrupulous. Having had less than pleasant dealings (socially) with some staffers there, I am not surprised, but cannot be bothered getting bothered. What comes round, goes round.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.