Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
if the person isn't shot in front of a blue/green screen, then you need to rotoscope them with a program like Motion, AE, or Shake. this means you need to cut them out by hand.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
have fun ;)
at 30 fps now times that number by how many seconds the video is.... that's a lot.... hope you have a lot of free time or friends that know how to use photoshop.

doc james

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
United Kingdom
If the person is shot against the same background, regardless of colour or complexity AND you happen to have a shot of the background without the person then you should be able to do something with masks (I'm tired and my head hurts - you'll work it out). If you are asking this BEFORE filming then go for a blue or green screen and get it as evenly lit as possible with a minimum of shadow and ask your subject to wear a red outfit. Not just Schindler's list, technically easier :)

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
doc_james is referring to a difference matte, which would require a stationary camera and a completely stable background (absolutely nothing moving). this is how the background effect in the new ichat works.

lorductape

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
t3h usa
i'll just say it, as someone who uses shake routinely, you can't. Rotoscoping is a very VERY hard thing to learn to do flawlessly, and if you're trying to do it in FCP, FCE, or even motion you might as well not even try.

EDIT: unless you shoot it in front of a blue screen, crop the lower part of your body out, and you get a perfect key in FCP or FCE. then you can move the layer so your head is wherever you want. you could even keyframe it so it flies through the air and somebody nearby cries, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
i'll just say it, as someone who uses shake routinely, you can't. Rotoscoping is a very VERY hard thing to learn to do flawlessly, and if you're trying to do it in FCP, FCE, or even motion you might as well not even try.

EDIT: unless you shoot it in front of a blue screen, crop the lower part of your body out, and you get a perfect key in FCP or FCE. then you can move the layer so your head is wherever you want. you could even keyframe it so it flies through the air and somebody nearby cries, "THIS IS SPARTA!"

well i don't mean it has to be perfect or anything. just something on there. is this easy to do in shake?

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
well i don't mean it has to be perfect or anything. just something on there. is this easy to do in shake?

not really, its tedious and takes a lot of time. unless you have some serious experience its not worth trying. i've done it in after effects before and it took about an hour just to get maybe a good 5-10 seconds done

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
not really, its tedious and takes a lot of time. unless you have some serious experience its not worth trying. i've done it in after effects before and it took about an hour just to get maybe a good 5-10 seconds done

unless you just crop the video into a box so you have a picture-in-picture situation, then no.. it's not easy.

dang. is there any tutorials on this?

doc james

macrumors regular
May 3, 2007
United Kingdom
Just a thought. I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for but your head on someone else's body sounds like a bit of comedy or spoof or something? There were some Pepsi Max ads, and here in the UK, Nintendo, where actors dressed entirely in black were filmed against black backgrounds against low light. Of course you could see how it was done but that just added to the comedy. Worth a go?

However you're going to do this, I think we're all agreed that you need to fix your background and probably use a plain background

rjfiske

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2003
Washington State
tutorial

There's also a basic 7minute tutorial here. He uses After Effects but the procedure should give you a good idea of what to expect in terms of time/effort.

rjf

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Just a thought. I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for but your head on someone else's body sounds like a bit of comedy or spoof or something? There were some Pepsi Max ads, and here in the UK, Nintendo, where actors dressed entirely in black were filmed against black backgrounds against low light. Of course you could see how it was done but that just added to the comedy. Worth a go?

However you're going to do this, I think we're all agreed that you need to fix your background and probably use a plain background

well which program would be the easiest to start with?

Just Google "rotoscoping".

Lethal

thanks, i did.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
well which program would be the easiest to start with?
The process of rotoscoping is pretty much equally miserable and tedious on whatever program you use. Shake would probably be the most bang for the buck, but it's got a steep learning curve. After Effects is very often used for this so there will be a plethora of tips/tricks/tutorials to find on-line. You could also buy the FCS2 suite and use Motion. If you are wanting the expand your technical abilities you'll end up w/FCS2 anyway so might as well get it now.

Lethal

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
The process of rotoscoping is pretty much equally miserable and tedious on whatever program you use. Shake would probably be the most bang for the buck, but it's got a steep learning curve. After Effects is very often used for this so there will be a plethora of tips/tricks/tutorials to find on-line. You could also buy the FCS2 suite and use Motion. If you are wanting the expand your technical abilities you'll end up w/FCS2 anyway so might as well get it now.

Lethal

thanks, i guess i'll read about shake

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.