How do you arrange your data ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MareLuce, Nov 17, 2016.

1. MareLuce macrumors 6502

My MacBook Pro 15" 2TB arriving today will be my first non-Windows laptop. I don't know much about MacOS.

I bit the bullet and went with the 2TB version because I hate
    - Trying to hook up external drives while on a plane or needing to carry them around at all.
    - Being "on the edge" with hard drive space all the time.

I have approximately :

80 gb music
    300 gb pictures / video
    200 gb personal data
    400 gb work data
    100 gb other data

How would you recommend I organize this data? How do you organize your data?

When working with files, what will be the biggest learning curve in moving to MacOS from Windows?

2. leman macrumors 604

Just put in in your user folder. If there is some data (e.g. videos etc.) that might be interesting to other users as well, put that under Shared. Thats basically it.

3. cmaier macrumors G3

I'm anal, so I arrange my data in bit order. First all he 0's, then all the 1's.

4. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

The Finder in OSX has basic default folders of Music, Movies, Pictures, Documents, Downloads, Applications. I just use those as intended. iTunes in Music. All my LR stuff and exports from LR under Pictures. Documents (word, excel) under Documents. All downloads go to downloads by default. Applications is where OSX installs applications. Really easy. Of course you can further customize with folders to your heart's content.

5. cmaier macrumors G3

I created a "work documents" folder inside "documents" to keep personal and work separate. I also use Dropbox to sync just the documents folder, but nowadays it may make more sense to use iCloud desktop and documents sharing.

6. littlepud macrumors regular

I use the default home directory folders for everything.

• Documents all local on the SSD
    • Pictures in iCloud Photos with full-red copies local
    • Music in iTunes, all local
    • Movies and TV Shows all on an external desktop drive, but in my iTunes library.

7. MareLuce thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you!

Security guidelines = I can only store music and movies on the public cloud.
    Everything else must be local or on personal or corporate-owned storage.

Will I simply be able to plug in my WD Passport Ultra drive that is currently my Windows backup target?
    Or do I need to get a new one, re-format it so my MacBook Pro can read it, and get my data to it somehow?

Back to stalking the UPS man...