How do you arrange your USB hub?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jmack549, Feb 24, 2009.

1. jmack549 macrumors 6502

I like keeping my desk as clean as possible, and like the "minimum" of stuff. I got a usb hub, but I'm not really sure where to put it. Off the back, running down to somewhere on the bottom/back of the desk? Or display is somewhere up front in a nice manner?

Any advice? Are other iMac owners this anal?

2. petemwah macrumors regular

i have my USB hub stuck with velcro behind my desk, that way the wires are all hidden. I also make extensive use of cable ties and sleeves so that there's no tangling/mess at the back.

If i had an especially pretty USB hub i might be inclined to put it on my desk, but my monitor has a couple of USB slots so I just use those for day to day devices (USB sticks etc).

3. jmack549 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, that's what I'm most worried about, the day to day stuff. The keyboard usb slots will work for the daily stuff I assume...

On a side note, I walked in the other day and my mom, who has had her iMac for about a year, was wrestling with the giant thing, tilting it over to try to plug something into the back of it. I laughed, then showed her there was 2 usb slots on the keyboard. It was like the first time she saw a sunset. She is in love with it now.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Mines under my desk, it's only a 4 port thing for uni, at home I have a 7 port one that's held in by screws, it's hidden by a piece of wood too so it doesn't light up my room at night :p

5. petemwah macrumors regular

well why not plug the boring stuff (permanent external hard disks, USB keyboard/mouse etc) into a hub which is hidden and then get a USB extension cable or a smaller hub for your desk?

something like this? (although that one's pretty darn ugly) x

6. EB66 macrumors 6502

gosh i hate wires....i use velcro and put it behind my desk too

7. harry454 macrumors 6502

I got one stuck underside of my desk with double sides tape, and then the wires run along the beams of the desk frame, with zip ties, its a Ikea Galant desk so it works really well, however I do want to get the belkin 3 port on for the 3 inch wire holes, that would be a nice one to use

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Yeah, it will do ok for day to day stuff as long as are only attaching low power devices- like the mouse, trackballs and most flash drives. Forget portable HDs or anything else that requires a normal full power port and you will be ok.

Nicest way to hide a powered hub and still provide access to it IMO is to velcro it back out of the way and use a USB extender cable (along the lines of this at Amazon ) up to the desktop for easy access to at least one port for daily use.

9. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I have this. I deleted my ipod dock/card reader and it has 2-3 USB hub in back.
    clean lines too.

[​IMG]

10. blugoldimac macrumors newbie

While waiting on the iMac refresh i have spent time researching all the accessories to get with my (future) new iMac. I am now looking into usb hubs. To keep my desk clear i would prefer something wireless. Does anyone have any suggestions for a wireless usb hub? from what i have read they are slower than the wired versions but are there any 'highspeed' options or... would i not notice a speed decrease with my uses for this hub. my uses would include: printer (mostly document files, not photos), card reader, scanner, fax machine, pda dock, and an ipod dock. i would not expect to use the wireless hub with my external backup drives.

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well, the first one I looked at after a Google search was the 4 port Belkin one that notes in the video demo that it supports high, full and low speed modes of USB 2.0 operation, so that should not be a problem. BTW- they show portable hard drives hung off it fine too.

That being said, even thought the technology is available I just about choked when I saw that a 4 port hub is listed at $199.99 ($146 on Amazon with some no-so-complimentary reviews about the line of sight requirements). Man I would really have to hate the single wire that using a wireless hub would eliminate (from the computer to the hub) to use this instead of a $10 powered hub and some .15 velcro! ;) It appears that all the current generation wireless hubs (as shown in the Belkin demo and others I found) still require the devices themselves to be cabled into the hub so eliminating one cable sure would not be worth the price to me anyway.:(

12. harry454 macrumors 6502

I think, I might get a belkin one soon current bestbuy one is giving problems