How do you assign your Expose and Spaces hot corners?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Signal-11, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I was first going to post this on the Community boards since this is more a geek opinion thing and not a technical thing but I'm putting it here b/c I noticed the Mac OCD thing here, too.

Okay, so every once in a while, I decide that some aspect of my interaction with the UI is inefficient and annoying. Usually, its a very minor issue and my attempts to be less inefficient end up becoming ridiculous time wasters. Like my latest attempt to retrain my brain for what I think is "efficient" hot corner assignments:

Upper Left: Show Desktop
    Upper Right: All Windows
    Lower Left: Dashboard
    Lower Right: Spaces

Here's the way I figure it.

Show Desktop is the one function that leaves the almost all elements of the UI intact, particularly the menu bar. For me, the most inadvertent activation of hot corner elements is the upper left, because that has the menu elements I reach for most often. With Show Desktop, this matters much less.

Spaces and All Windows need to be in adjacent corners for quicker consecutive activation because I use them in combo to move stuff between spaces and applications. The distance between top and bottom is shorter than left and right so these go on the right side.

Which leaves Dashboard on the lower left which is good because there's nothing in the lower right corner I reach for on a constant basis. Dashboard widgets are arranged so all of my drag and drop widgets are on the LL corner.

Anyway, I've been driving myself nuts with this arrangement because I'm so used to my old assignments that I keep hitting the wrong corners. How long till I get used to it?

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

I do not bother with hot corners at all. I tend to accidentally activate them way too much, and so does anyone and everyone else who uses my computer, which infuriates most of them. Plus, I have an MX Revolution, so I just asign everything to the various buttons.

I have a feeling that like anything else, it will take maybe a week of using it all the time to get used to your new layout.

3. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Oddly enough, I have the MX Revolution (and the VX Revolution) as well but I use the extra buttons for other things. Plus, the hot corners are consistent for both trackpad and mouse input.

4. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

True true. Like I said though, I just don't like them and don't like changing them to make the computer usable for others. I know when I was first using Macs, and moved the mouse to a corner and inadvertently activated exposé, I cursed the very existence of Mac's simply because I had no clue why the windows were doing what they did :eek:

I have spaces/exposé assigned to F8 and F9, so that works well enough for me "on the go". And as for different functions on the MX, personally I just have a standard layout for Finder and other apps I bounce back and forth to, whereas "sit-down" apps like Photoshop, Basecamp, Aperture, Final Cut, etc. have customized functions.

5. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

4 finger gestures ftw ;)

Though:

Top Right = Expose
    Bottom Right = Desktop
    Bottom Left = Screensaver

I need the Hot Corners for when I drag files... can't drag a file and do a 4 finger gesture :eek: