How do you associate a new email account with your iPhone for Facetime?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nightfly13, Sep 2, 2010.

1. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

So I saw the suggestion on the iPod Touch Facetime promo on the product page that you can even open a new email account just for Facetime. I thought this would be a good idea and got a gmail account opened up with the first name I wanted - a first for me! Not a bad idea to snap up memorable facetime email addresses while they last.

Anyway, how do I tell Apple that this new email is mine, and should be associated with my iPhone 4? If I understood correctly from the keynote, the new iPod Touches will have a separate FT app, iPhone can get that, too? Is it just not released yet?

thanks Macrumors continuum!

2. brewno macrumors 6502

I don't think it's available with the current version, but with the 4.1 update we should see the option... Anyone with the 4.1 to verify that?

3. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

whiteshadoww

I was excited to hear about the facetime to email update but nothing. Will it be in 4.1? or 4.2?

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I can't confirm this obviously but it looks like you just add an email address to a contact and tap the FaceTime button. It initiates FaceTime even though there is no phone number. This is on 4.1 GM

5. nightfly13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

Yes this is also what I've surmised, that's how you call me. But how do I tell Apple that this new email address should direct it to my iPhone? Guess we'll just wait, thanks guys.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good question:)
    Im surprised noone with the 4.1GM tried it yet.

7. shandyman Suspended

when you press the facetime button in a contact on 4.1 it comes up asking how you want to make the facetime call, with a list of phone numbers and email addresses.