Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kempster

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Hi all,

I am a musician, who needs to add info to my tracks to send to a music library. They require info such as composer, genre, comments to be filled out for tracks submitted.

So, i put the WAVS into itunes, right click, go to get info. fill it all in and all cool. But as soon as i drag those tracks onto a usb stick, to another computer and into itunes there, gone!

So, can anyone help me with how to make this info stick to tracks please.

thanks
Kemp

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
So, i put the WAVS into itunes, right click, go to get info. fill it all in and all cool. But as soon as i drag those tracks onto a usb stick, to another computer and into itunes there, gone!

I think the problem might be that you're using WAVs. MP3, AAC and other compressed music file formats have tags inserted into the files which store this information. WAV files are just pure audio and do not support tags - in this case the information on these files is stored in your iTunes library database but not in the music file itself.

If you need to tag your files you will need to use a format which supports tags.

jx

jMc

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2001
London N8, Late-16th Century
Do you think AIFFS will work?

cheers
K

AIF, like WAV, is a pure audio file format, so strictly speaking it shouldn't support tags. However, I believe iTunes may be able to add and read tags in AIF files, so you should try it and see (but be aware the tags may not be read by software other than iTunes).

jx

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.