how do you backup your ipod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by charlestrippy, Oct 13, 2007.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

I was curious - how do you backup your iPod touch? I tried iPodRip but it wont detect the ipod and im not sure of any other programs that will work for the touch?

any ideas?
    thanks

2. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

you will need to wait a little bit so it can get created

3. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

I'm not sure why it's necessary to back up any iPod. Isn't the iPod just a "backup" of the iTunes Library that lives on your computer? If the iPod is lost, stolen, or dropped in a toilet I'll just plug the new one into iTunes and be 100% restored from there.

I do back up iTunes (along with the rest of my computer).

4. maximus96 macrumors 6502a

maximus96

5. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

yes, however - im in washington dc and i need to replace my touch its all messed up - so if i swap it now i wont have my stuff...
    plus i dont keep my videos on my computer - it takes up too much space so it's only on the touch...so i need to backup the videos....see waht i mean

6. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

The reason I would want a backup is if I mess something up and I have to restore, I can just put my backup in and it will have all my preferences, songs, videos, settings, passcodes, passwords, pictures, games, everything! So I won't have to go through putting all my apps back on. I have a backup of my settings now, but I have to go through manually and put them in place (better than nothing though!)

7. iTouchFool macrumors newbie

How To Back Up Your iPod

You have to connect to iTunes and under devices on the left click your iPod. Then click restore. It will ask if you want to back up your iPod. Say yes. After it's done, sync your iPod. Then it will have the backed up files

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I don't back up often, but when I do it's simple. You put the Touch in reverse, then slowly ease off the brake. There is no rear-view camera (although the 3rd gen may get one ;) ), so turn your head and look over your right shoulder. Make sure there are no obstructions in your path.

9. nutmac macrumors 68040

Well, you could keep video and other large data on external hard disk.

10. iTouchFool macrumors newbie

Wow nutmac that's a really good idea I haven't thought of that.

11. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

God, a Friday night post on Thursday night. Things are looking up :)

I have one iPod touch I don't bother backing up. Another one I do because it has notes and apps with specific settings and so forth. Sometimes I delete all the music and video off it before I back it up, because I can always and do often enough reload that stuff anyway.

12. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Are we all having fun posting in a resurrected thread from 2007? By the way you can backup the iPod touch without doing a restore. Right clicking on the iPod's name under Devices gives you options like Sync, Transfer Purchases, Backup, Restore from Backup, and Reset Warnings. The actual backup itself retains information like the names of the installed apps, the settings for those apps and the iPod in general, and a record of the playlists or songs you have synced to the device. The actual audio/video content is not included in a backup, only the names and playlists used to organize such media. Read over this for a better understanding of the backup and update/restore processes.

13. ksavorate macrumors newbie

ksavorate

I'm pretty sure that iTunes backs up your iPod every time you sync. There are preferences for backup in the iTunes preferences.

14. ZuneMan? macrumors regular

Where is this backup kept? :apple:

15. JediMeister macrumors 68040

The backup locations are listed in this article, about halfway through.

Reposting locations for more direct access to info:

On a Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

On Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

On Windows Vista: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

To view these files on a Windows system, you will have to enable "Show hidden files and folders"

16. iTouchFool macrumors newbie

LOL yeah guys it's been two years since he posted his thread, I'm sure he found out!:apple:

17. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Oddly enough, it was actually helpful to me this morning! LOL!!

18. ariesdude82 macrumors newbie

itunes backup on new ipod touch

I have tried to restore settings from my old ipod to my new one but it wont let me do it. It will only restore back to my old ipod touch. Is there a way i can fool it think that my new one is my old one? or is there another way to restore the settings from my old one on to my new one

Ariesdude82

19. macshill macrumors 6502

macshill

Those dime-a-dozen flash USB memory sticks. 2GB, 4GB, 8GB, etc. I bought a Lexar 4GB for $20 and it held 1000 songs. The reason why I bought it was because my brother wanted my song library on his computer, too. I used one to duplicate it. You can have 1 stick for songs, 1 for videos.

20. OnTheiTouch2G macrumors member

I am struggling with this dilemma. I don't sync my iPod to my iTunes because i've taken songs off many different computers (family and friends). If I sync I lose all those. At this point I'm hoping my touch doesn't die.

I haven't tried any software. What works?

21. davisreed macrumors newbie

This article explains how to use iTunes to back up, update and/or restore your iPhone or iPod touch...........
    * Sync with iTunes (automatically on the first sync, every time you connect it to the computer)
    * Update in iTunes (occurs automatically without prompting)
    * Restore in iTunes (prompts you to create a backup before the restore process begins)

22. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

Quite simple:

1. Connect it to your Mac/PC.
    2. Open up iTunes.
    3. Select the iPod Touch in the sidebar.
    4. Right-click on the iPod Touch.
    5. Select "Backup" from the contextual menu.
    6. Done!

23. Scottycat222 macrumors newbie

uh.....

i just right clicked on my ipod in itunes and click on backup :apple: