How do you buy all the latest devices?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by xxray, Apr 7, 2014.

1. xxray macrumors 6502

Do you guys have any tips for buying and keeping up the latest devices? I see a lot of you that always are getting the latest devices whether it's the latest iPhone, Galaxy, HTC One, Nexus, etc. I'd love to buy a new phone each year or have multiple phones that I could change to whenever I wanted but I feel bad paying $600-$700 per phone since I buy them for full price.

Any tips, feedback, suggestions, etc. is much appreciated! ;)

2. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Tips:
    1) Buy Used
    2) Sign contracts for multiple lines
    3) Get a better paying job and buy new

3. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I went from a galaxy nexus bought in January 2012 to a moto x bought in January 2014. Both on Verizon.

4. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

[​IMG]

You got a point :cool:

5. studIOS5 macrumors 6502a

studIOS5

I personally buy and sell on craigslist. I buy phones cheap and sell them high either on eBay or Craigslist or I do trades that are to my advantage value wise. Over the last two years I've managed to go from a droid razr to an iPhone 5c just buying selling and trading. Never lost a cent

6. Dontazemebro macrumors 68020

Dontazemebro

7. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

8. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I second this, or I usually pay with a credit card. On a serious note though, I always try and sell my previous devices, and use that money to buy my new devices.

9. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

I buy the phone SIM-free and then put a rolling monthly SIM of my choice in.

Saves me LOTS of money, works out generally about 50% of the price of a comparable phone/contract.

10. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I sell or trade my old phones and use my upgrades when I can. Couple of months ago I was able to get a moto x and lg g2 free on contract with at&t. Then I traded the moto x for a nexus 5 and the g2 for an HTC Google play edition on Craigslist. I just bought an HTC one m8 using at&t next with no money down and have my nexus and one m7 for sale and will be using that to pay off the m8 with some money left over.

11. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I always buy Applecare as this helps keep the re-sale value up, and I try to upgrade ASAP after a new phone or iPad is released, and every 18 months or so with Macs....I'm off track this year due to finances, but if you do it that way, you do tend to get a better sale...Also taking good care of your devices using a case on them etc. helps keep those scratches at bay too.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In the past, I've gotten my phones via the subsidized price, though I paid full price for my Nexus One back in the day.

I now have a Lumia Icon and I did that through the Edge program. I'm a little skeptical of this, but I'll let this program play itself out. At the very least if I don't like the program I can just pay off the phone and own it outright.

The Edge program gives me some wiggle room however since I may not like the WP8 phone and choose to go back onto iOS or Android. If that does occur, selling a WP8 phone will be more work and time then if I was selling an iPhone. With that said, so far I am liking the Lumia.

13. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Either buy and sell, or pay out and upgrade contracts, just paid out a $100 per month 5S contract for $300 sold the 5S for $800 and got a HTC One M8 on a $80 contract.
    I run my business off a mobile so tax right offs too. If my phone wasn't earning me a living i could live happily without one:)

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just accept the fact that I don't always need the latest and greatest phone. My previous phone, an iPhone 4, I had for 2 years before I got my HTC One last July.

15. Shanghaichica, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014

Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I usually pay off my existing contract and then upgrade or sometimes I sell older handsets.

16. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yeah that's what I'm doing from now on.. Three has unlimited tethering but now only on sim only deals

17. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I never keep my "old phones". When I'm ready for something new I'll sell on Swappa and put the $$ towards the next phone I want. I sometimes buy them off contract or from Swappa.

With the S5 I'm hoping to just keep that for at least the next year. We will see though! ;)

18. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Swappa and CL are my best means of getting new devices.

19. jkeekij macrumors regular

I always pay the upgrade price. My Verizon account has 10 devices on it, so there is usually always an upgrade available.

20. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Buy and resell. I only do this when I don't need the device anymore, or if it has limited capabilities compared to the newer version. I don't update based on simply bumped specs. I'm still running a MBP late 2008 as my DD. My luck is terrible in terms of phones though. Something always goes wrong with them.

21. rockitdog macrumors 68020

My current phone is a 5S which I am hoping to sell shortly for an S5. I'm currently on a standard 2 year plan with AT&T and if the iPhone 6 is an absolutely knock out of the park must have- I will switch to the NEXT plan and get an iPhone 6 which they are allowing people do almost with minimal resistance. Where there's a will, there's a way!