How do you calculate your GPA?!?!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by techlover828, Jan 23, 2008.

1. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

I've seen so many different things online. Our school's grading is like this
    A+ 99-100
    A 95-98
    A- 93-94
    B+ 91-92
    B 87-90
    B- 85-86
    C+ 83-85
    C 79-82
    etc....

so, how do I calculate my GPA? I don't know any scale or anything but I'm a sophomore and am starting to look at college books with average gpa's etc. so i need to figure out how to calculate it.

Also, anyone have any wise words on how to motivate myself to get better grades, I definitely need better ones.

2. shecky Guest

shecky

translate those numbers into these points like so:

A = 4
    A- = 3.7
    B+ = 3.3
    B = 3
    B- = 2.7
    C+ = 2.3
    C = 2
    C- = 1.7
    D+ = 1.3
    D = 1
    D- = 0.7
    F = 0

3. techlover828 thread starter macrumors 68020

techlover828

but don't different schools use different grade ranges? so how do they keep it constant?

4. shecky Guest

shecky

thats the standard for North American schools as far as i know. its how i grade my students.

5. kylecib123 macrumors newbie

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My school has the worst GPA system ever

Freshman year it was out of 4.0 but it was impossible to actually achieve a 4.0 even if you got a 100 in every class.

Now its out of 6.25, somehow you still cannot achieve a perfect 6.25 and now AP, Honors, and Academic classes are all equally weighted.

It makes no sense and I have no idea how they calculate it.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Some just use flat A- A A+ = 4.0

And some schools calculate weighted GPAs for the students enrolled in AP and Honors classes (As= 5.0, etc.).

8. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Yeah our school does A's and A+'s are 4.0 in regular classes. But honors classes are 4.7 and ap classes are 5.0

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yep, I've seen it both ways. Some schools count the + and - with the 3.7 and what not. Other schools are A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, and F=0.

Or you could go to UCSC where they don't even give grades. Well they do now - sort of.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yep, at my school, an A's an A. So whether you have a 90 or 100, it still counts the same. Ditto for B/C/D/F

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

here is some food for though. Most of the time the college will look at your class rank not your GPA. So in the end all that matters is really your class rank and that will be out of a 100 point scale. Do not figure it based on converting it over to a 4 point system but compare to everyone else.

As for college at mine a A+ and an A- both = a 4.0 A B+= 3.0 and so on.

12. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Man, you're lucky. I hate the 4.0 for an A, 3.7 for an A-, and 3.3 for a B+. Where's the 4.3 for an A+? Dumb grading system, totally screwed my 4.0 for the last 3 semesters. Although, I suppose it doesn't matter in the long run since graduate schools will likely know the scale you were graded on and seem to care about test scores more.

As for the OP, go ask your school counselor which scale they use, they should be able to tell you. I was under the impression that most schools used A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0, and weighted their AP or honors courses on a 5.0 scale, but who knows now days.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Didn't know I was lucky until now :D

Seriously though, I never heard of that method until this thread. My high school used the standard system, and my university does the same. The only difference my high school had was for the honors/AP classes where 97% (i think) and above were worth 5.0

I'm not sure which one I'd like more though. On one hand, when I work my butt off and get like a 98% in the class, it annoys me that it's worth the same as the guy who got the 89.5% and was lucky enough to get that rounded up. But on the other hand, most of the time I'm the guy with the 89.5% whose lucky enough to get that rounded. So I guess I prefer the standard method. If a 90% didn't count the same as a 100%, I definitely wouldn't have had a 4.0 the past 2 semesters.

14. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

It's even more difficult to calculate my GPA than normal because of the way ASU does it.

Only certain classes us the +/- system, and some classes use the any A is a 4.0 system.

Personally, I like the +/- grading system since it benefits students that actually try their best to get an A+ instead of barely making an A and still getting the 4.0. I've found that it's usually the slackers in the class that don't want to use the +/-. Gee, I wonder why? :rolleyes:

15. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

Find out if you take honors/preAP/AP/GT/whatever, they usually add weights, so like an 88 in preAP is a 101 in normal.