How do you change the iCloud Apple ID and move content?

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Undecided, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Undecided, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

Undecided macrumors 6502a

I seem to have painted myself into a corner.

I use the same Apple iD for iTunes purchases and iCloud. It is not an @me.com address. I've discovered that if I want notes to sync, then my iCloud Apple ID must be an @me.com address. I know I can have a different Apple ID for iTunes purchases and for iCloud. If I switch my iCloud Apple ID to an @me.com address, then all my iCloud-based content (reminders, documents, etc.) on my Mac currently will get removed from my Mac. It will still be in iCloud (I guess) but associated with my current non-@me.com address.

So how am I supposed to move to a different iCloud Apple ID (one using @me.com) and move all my content there?:confused:

[By the way, I already have, but don't use, an @me.com address. In system preferences, I added it as a second iCloud account, which it let me do, but it's stuck as "inactive" and it won't let me sync just my notes to it.]

2. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

My notes, and everything else icloud, sync just fine with my apple id, which is a "@live" adress.

I think your problem must be something else...

3. Undecided thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because my apple id is an alias of an actual email address, based on your note I began to wonder if that's the problem. So I changed my apple id to be the actual email address. Still didn't work.

But then I noticed that one of my gmail accounts had a notes sync option. I turned that on, and now my notes do sync, via my gmail account, not iCloud.