How do you change the name of your iPhone while keeping your information?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Iron Chef, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Iron Chef macrumors member

I know it sounds silly, but I actually like to have a name for each one of my iPhones and iPods. When I got my 3GS, I restored from a backup which gave it the name of my 3G.

I tried to restore and setup as a new phone, but then when I tried to pull all of my content from a backup, and renamed it back to the 3G.

Any ideas?

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

When it's mounted it iTunes, simply click on the name in the sidebar and type in the new name.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Plug it in. In iTunes, click the name that shows up on the left panel, click it again and it will highlight in blue. Type in a new name, press enter, and boom: profit!

4. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

If I understand correctly, go to iTunes on a computer with your phone plugged in. Then, click on your iPhone in the left. While highlighted, click the name again and you should be able to rename it. Not sure if this is what you want, though. Good luck!

5. icewing macrumors 6502

Connect it to your computer so that it shows up in iTunes on the left side.

Click on the phone name there, you'll be able to change the name. You might have to sync after that, I don't remember.

Mine is called Newton now!

6. icewing macrumors 6502

7. Iron Chef thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I appreciate it a lot!