How do you change the sounds that your phone makes?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TH55, Mar 19, 2012.

1. TH55 macrumors 68030

For instance, the sound it makes when u slide to unlock, type, send texts, etc. Do you have to download entire themes or can you independently change sounds for each function?

Also, how do you change your home page layout, do you have to download each theme or is there an app that lets you customize each aspect of the phone from display to sounds?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

The UI sounds can be changed by replacing the default sounds with sounds you prefer, you just make a .caf fie and name it the same as the sound you are wishing to replace. You should always save the default sounds somewhere so you can put them back.

There are many jailbroken hacks which allow modifications to springboard pages and layouts, or you can use a prepackaged theme. You can replace or modify icons on your own, one at a time if you wish.

For example, notice the custom weather icon I am using. Whatever the current weather conditions are, the icon itself depicts it.

[​IMG]-[​IMG]

3. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

I'm not sure I underdtand, is it possible that you could give me a brief step by step of how to change individual icons/sounds? Thanks, sorry kind of a newbie

4. EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

You would either need to SSH into your phone and replace those sounds one by 1 (while backing up the originals), you could also use a program like iExplorer. These uisounds are in .caf format so any new sounds you would like to add would need to be setup that way. The file names need to be the same name for them to work, so if you create a new sound that changes the stock lock sounds (unlock.caf), the new sound would need to have the same name and you would just copy over the original (after backing it up of course).

The UISounds are located in the following directory

/System/Library/Audio/UISounds

Some themes come with custom UISounds that can be applied via Winterboard, I import my own custom sounds in my theme and apply them via winterboard.

5. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

How exactly is that done? I am a real amature and have no idea what I'm doing, to be honest that was all foreign language to me. Can you please give me a brief step by step?

6. EngageWithRage, Mar 20, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2012

EngageWithRage macrumors 6502

EngageWithRage

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

It is a very detailed process which involves creating and modifying new UI sounds from .mp4 to .aiff to .caf
    Then finding which sounds are which and replacing them.

Use Google and learn about it like we did when we started

8. TH55 thread starter macrumors 68030

Is there any way I can sidestep that process and download a tweak for it? Just like themes replace icons automatically can you download things to replace sounds?

9. 0m3ga macrumors 6502

you only have to change the end of the extension from .aiff to .caf. it works no problem.

additionally, for newbies, go to cydia and download these tweaks to get started, as they do the work for you: isounds and istartupsounds from the bigboss repo.

10. Lycanthroat macrumors regular

One awesome tweak I found the other day was iStartupSound - it's free on Cydia and it's awesome. It changes the respring/reboot sound and all you have to do is pop the .wav file in a folder the app creates for you. I prefer it over messing about with the UISounds folder (although if you want to change text tones, you still have to edit them here).

I got rid of that awful TWA-ANG sound when the phone resprings and now have the lovely Mac startup sound (never had a Mac, but love the sound).