How do you change your MAC address?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Savagestorm, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Savagestorm macrumors member

I basically need to change the MAC address of my MBA as on my university network I'm only allowed to register one mac address, is it possible, if so how?

Thanks

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Not possible. The MAC address is tied to the network card in the computer. You could change out the network card in question and that would change it but void your warranty in the process.

3. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

I'm not sure but I think it's possible but it's nothing you should do because your MAC adress is a unique hardware identification number. As far as I know it's not easy to change it. If you have two devices with the same MAC adress in one network the network goes down. Correct me if I'm wrong mr folks. (I know that it was possible on the iPhone because the Ziphone hack did harm the wifi connectivity and with a fix zibri provided, all damaged phones had the same mac adress but wifi was working again...)

4. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Move next door (lol)

sorry- seriously its a hard thing to do, but you could spoof it - google for 'spoofing mac address under linux)

:) good luck

(edit- if the admins catch you look out - its not considered moral lol)

5. Savagestorm thread starter macrumors member

Well I'm just on the university network, and they have instructions on how to change the mac address on your pc, so it can't be tied to hardware can it? The devices are not meant to be connected at the same time, just one or the other.

Thanks for the quick replies though.

6. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

You could try this

should be the same as this

en1 should be your wireless and en0 your ethernet card.
    write your original mac adress down before changing it in order to undo your work if you want to

7. smogsy macrumors 6502a

set up your router to MAC Mask the uni network will see your Router as one PC and not see the computers connecting from that "PC" most new routers do it...

my New Belkin has it but i have no need for it

8. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

hard ? hmm, I'm a Linux user and it can be done with one command. I guess that on Unix (OSX) it is the same.

Immoral ? What's bad on it ? Changing the mac address doesn"'t mean that we are a bad hacker who will hack the entire network ;)

http://www.tech-faq.com/change-mac-address.shtml

9. bpasker macrumors member

I know many people did this so they could register a xbox or something like this.