How do you charge you MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Calby, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Hi,
    I have recently purchase a rMBP late 2015.
    And I wonder how you use to charge it so you don't damage the battery?

I have been having the charger connected on to the MBP during the day when I using it, but at night when I shutting it down ( power it off) I disconnect the charger ofc.

Later when I'm going to start at school I'll use it on it's battery power during the day.

Is this the right way to go or should I do something different to save the battery?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

Use it however you like. It's intelligent enough to manage its own power in the most effective way.

3. Goatllama macrumors 6502a

Goatllama

I charge mine by holding my finger to the port and thinking really angry thoughts.

Kidding aside, that charging is fine. 1 battery percentage gone is 1 battery percentage gone whether the MacBook is plugged in or not. By this I mean, that 1 percent goes against the battery's overall lifespan. Or so I've been told/researched/etc.

4. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I've left my 2012 MBP plugged in while not in use for 3 years. Still have 98% battery life. Not one problem ever. I do the same with my rMBP.

5. Toutou macrumors 6502a

Toutou

Definitely not necessary, it's not "overcharging" or anything like that. Plug it in when it's convenient, unplug it when going away. A 2015 model should be able to last a full school day (several lectures and breaks) without a hitch.

Don't worry about the battery, mine feels like brand new after a year and a half, and I generally don't care about it.

6. leman macrumors 604

The main factor (besides environment) is how much you use your computer. This will determine how quickly your battery drains and needs to be recharged, which will affect its lifespan. You don't need to take any specific precautions to "save" the battery, the processor in the battery will take care of it. Basically, if you really want to "save" the battery, leave your computer plugged in in sleep mode and never use it. Anyway, the battery will usually serve you 3-4 years after which you will either want a new machine anyway or pay $200 to get a new one. Not really worth the stress IMO.

7. Calby thread starter macrumors 6502

Calby

So a mbp I'll live for 6-7 years then.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

And the biggest thing that can maintain the health of the battery is to use it on battery power occasionally. Keeping it plugged in for months on end can ruin the battery if you don't use it. It may show that it's health is good but when you actually go to use it, it can shut off at 40% or so.

I've ruined plenty of MB batteries over the years because I didn't use them enough.

9. Spudlicious macrumors 6502

Spudlicious

I'll second that. Just use the computer and connect a charger when that's convenient to you. Life's too short to trouble yourself over things like battery life, I wish I could convince you of that.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

How do you charge your MBP? Easy. Plug the magsafe to your MBP and plug the other end to a wall socket. :p

On a not so serious suggestion... just use it. Plug it whenever you can and use the battery whenever you need to. I never turn off my MBP unless I go on a trip/vacation. Depending on your usage...you may need to replace the battery sooner or later. I am still using my original battery after 5 years. It last around 2 hours with Safari (2-4 tabs with one youtube). I am okay with the battery life. If I need longer battery life than I will just replace it.