Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
So i just got my replacement 3GS, and i remember a thread a while ago talking about how certain build weeks are the best, what are those weeks and how the heck do you guys know? lol thanks.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
So i just got my replacement 3GS, and i remember a thread a while ago talking about how certain build weeks are the best, what are those weeks and how the heck do you guys know? lol thanks.

IMO, I would ignore that thread about certain build weeks being the best. It just seems like something else to be OCD about (and that's not meant to be disparaging in any way).

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I think the second, third and fourth digits of the serial number represent the month and week respectively.

So example, 920 is built in 2009, on the 20th week.

That being said, replacements are tricky, I think the serial numbers are reset.

EDIT: Does your serial number start with 5K?

ki2594

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2008
Carmel, IN.
I think the second, third and fourth digits of the serial number represent the month and week respectively.

my serial number starts with 2 8's.

auburnfan24

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008

i believe the whole '5K' thing was stopped after the first generation. every replacement i have had hasn't started with 5K since then.

Geniusdog254

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
i believe the whole '5K' thing was stopped after the first generation. every replacement i have had hasn't started with 5K since then.

Haha nope I wish that was true. The original batches of exchange 3G's were also using the 5K tags. I've had my 3G replaced 3 times & the first two (one from october last year & one from december) both carried the 5K tags however the 3rd one from April of this year is using the 88 tag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.