How do you choose your desktop wallpapers?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by BreakGuy, Dec 27, 2011.

1. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

When you decide it's time for a new wallpaper, what factors do you take into consideration when finding the right one?

Factors being things like; the time of year (holiday etc), simplicity, color, high def, photo, CG...

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I rarely have my desktop displayed, but it almost always it is a photograph that took my fancy.

I am open to change it at anytime, if a contender is deemed 'worthy'. :)

3. Schtumple, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2011

Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I pretty much always now have my own photos as my desktop now, changing them only when a really good one comes along :p

It's narcissistic I know, but I like my photos, why bother if you don't like what you make :p

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Ether web search for images I'm interested in or find some in the Post Your Desktop: series of threads.

5. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I rarely go looking just for desktops. Usually, if I run across a picture I like well enough to stare at it on my desktop for a week at a time or more, I'll go out and try to hunt down a high resolution of it. Once in a while, if there's a certain place I think is exceptionally pretty (Loch Lomond, Cannon Beach, &c.) I'll go search for a few images in that category.

Otherwise, I just save them as I run across them. I'm picky about which I use but not obsessive about finding new ones.

:)

6. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Am I the only one that literally never changes my desktop? I've just left it on the stock Lion wallpaper because I like it well enough, and on my Cinema Display I have it set to the provided beach one.

7. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

A good friend of mine left her desktop as the stock Lion. I asked her about it, and she said the same thing: it was pretty and she doesn't care if it's stock.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I like the stock desktop, too. I've tried a couple of other briefly, but i always come back to the to the galaxy stock picture.:)

9. snberk103 macrumors 603

I use my own photos, rarely change it, and simplicity is the key for me. I hate hunting for the text under an icon because the background is fussy, and I like neutral coloured desktops too. Usually.

I've attached a small version of what I'm using currently.

Attached Files:

10. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

I find mine on interfacelift.com so it's a no-brainer, I just pick what I like when I have gotten bored of the current one. It usually fits the season as the pictures are pretty fresh when posted on the website. Most of the time I choose sunsets, the rest of the time nature sceneries. Gotta keep it simple.

Right now I have broken my de-facto rules and found a 2012 BMW Series 3 sedan wallpaper somewhere on the web. Nice cars are just as aesthetically pleasing as the colors of a long-exposure photograph of the sea. ;)

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I change on a whim, and I change to whatever "feels right" at the time.

12. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll just look around deviantart to see if something catches my eye.

13. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

I simply go to the color section and choose neutral gray for all of my monitors. No color contamination while editing imagery, problem solved.

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I have 40 different logos, from SF/Fantasy shows that I liked. These rotate every 15 mins.
    [​IMG]

I also use the same wallpapers for my MBA and iPhone.:apple:

15. UlsterApple macrumors regular

It has to be something unobtrusive, usually a photo I've taken on holiday but quite peaceful - like the beach - or anything else that doesn't hide the icons.

16. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

All my wallpapers (on all my devices) are always something NYC themed. Be it the skyline, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, etc. -- it's what keeps me sane. Weird, I know. But that's always gonna my home.

17. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

All my desktops have a folder of about 60 images of different kinds. Funny stuff, beautiful stuff... All of them rotate every 30 minutes or so, in different patterns.

18. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I just change it when I feel like it. Whenever I find a desktop image that I like, I download it, and put in my desktops folder.

19. X5-452 macrumors 6502

X5-452

I typically use 2 things for wallpaper:

Pictures of Manhattan.

or

Pictures of bears.

I swap them out whenever I find a cool picture of either of the above. I once left up a polar bear wallpaper for.... close to 2 years?? It lasted all through my 2nd and 3rd year of university.

20. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

No you're not the only one. I like the stock Lion wallpaper.

21. BreakGuy thread starter macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

It seems there are quite a few people who enjoy the sights of NYC enough to set them as their wallpaper (myself included). Call it an addiction or not, I'm fascinated by New York City. It's on the top of my list of places to visit and have many wallpapers sitting in iPhoto of NY; the skyline, iconic bridges and buildings, aerial shots and even the NYPD and FDNY... :D

22. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

From interfacelift.com too or from the dedicated threads on this forum. But I also often come back to the stock galaxy one or even to the blue aqua one, because they are good to stay focused.

23. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Searching Google of something I would like to see like "Amy Pond Wallpaper" usually works.

24. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Whenever I tire of whatever I put up. And then whimsy governs what goes up next.

25. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

GoreVidal