How do you clean the keyboard after a spill

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by exe163, Aug 27, 2010.

1. exe163 macrumors regular

I accidentally spilled some vitamin water on my macbook pro. Lucky, besides the keyboard getting a little bit sticky, there's no problem with my machine. Is there any easy way to clean the keyboard?

2. Covart Guest

3. ski2moro macrumors 6502

Turn it off, unplug it, and remove the battery before you clean it.

Let it dry for a couple of days after you clean it. Even though alcohol evaporates quickly, you don't want to take any chances. If you have a fan to keep the air moving around the MBP, even better.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'd disassemble it entirely and clean each piece.

5. gmorar macrumors newbie

I had to dissemble about 20 keys to clean them w/ IKlear. Then I noticed they had lost the "soft-greasy sense" and were extremely "dry". But I found this post: http://hubpages.com/hub/Clean-Keyboard and saw the solution was to lubricate them again, using a dry film lubricant (hard to find it in the market.... but solved my problem!!) :)

Hope it helps.

6. exe163 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies. I can disassemble the keys and found out that the sticky feeling comes from the silicon domes under the keys and there's no way for me the clean them with water. Which iKleer did you get the solve the problem (amazon link would be nice)? And can I buy the lubricant online?

7. gmorar macrumors newbie

I bought IKlear directly in an Apple Store. Expensive, but wanted to be sure on this. Then I went to MANY stores (Sears, Home Depot, Lowe's) to find out they didn't carry any dry film lubricant, but were willing to send one through post-mail. I was in a hurry, and went to Ace as a final resource, and to my luck they had one left... Very inexpensive, about 4 dollars.
    I am sure ANY $5 to $10 Lub brand in Amazon will do the trick. Just follow the instructions on the page I referred.
    Regards.

8. exe163 thread starter macrumors regular

I was looking for iKlears on amazon. They all come in spray type for cleaning monitors and screens. They are just rubbing alcohol that resolves the residue of the drink right?