Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehuhman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
NC
I made the mistake of using Kensington spray on this glossy screen, and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the smudges off now... What do YOU guys do? (assuming you clean your screeens...lol):)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
I use water and the fake chamois that came with the machine.

Just a squirt from a spray bottle of water on the chamois and wipe the machine off.

Quite cheap.

Pupator

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
North Carolina
I use LCD screen wipes. They look like baby wipes and can be purchased in a round tub from Walmart or Best Buy for $8. I've been using them for a long time on a wide variety of notebooks (including my MBA) and have never had a problem. Much, much more reasonably priced than Klearscreen and you get the same results.

thetinman

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2008
England
Honestly the best thing to use is iClean, you get a microfibre colth and a solution to spray onto the screen. Just type it into Google, its not expensive too which is good and i find it last longer than wipes.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
OP, I'm concerned when you mention "smudges" that won't come off? ^^^ As suggested earlier, iKlear is the only thing that works for me. I spray iKlear on the microfiber cloth and wipe in a circular motion on the screen, then another spray on the cloth and wipe down the keys and the exterior of my MBA. Then I wipe it down with the polishing cloth and it looks pretty good in a matter of minutes. Those smudges concern me as you describe them, I'm wondering if you are keeping the foam insert between your screen and keyboard/trackpad as I do. This foam insert was with my MBA direct from the factory, and I've had a previous MB that developed smudges/scratches at the trackpad and spacebar that developed in about two weeks after my purchase. Well, whatever it is, keep us advised. Good luck. :eek:

JasO

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
I usually just use my hand... my air doesn't get babied like all my other gear, pretty weird actually, the smallest most delicate item gets bashed around the most!

pigbat

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2005
I use Invisible Glass, sprayed directly on a microfiber towel. I wipe down the screen and then use a dry microfiber to clear any areas that are still damp and take care of any streaks.

You can get Invisible Glass (I suggest the aerosol version) and microfiber towels in the auto section of most large retail stores - Target.

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
I wouldn't dare use a micro-fibre cloth. Eventually it's going to contain lots of dust particles within the fibres and it will act as a sandpaper. Basically you'll be wetsanding it. I know of a few people who have "sanded" their displays/TVs and regreted it.

Joshua.

hogfaninga

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Chestnut Tree Cafe
I wouldn't dare use a micro-fibre cloth. Eventually it's going to contain lots of dust particles within the fibres and it will act as a sandpaper. Basically you'll be wetsanding it. I know of a few people who have "sanded" their displays/TVs and regreted it.

Joshua.

I have been using them for years and never had a problem. I have never heard anyone having that problem with them until your post.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I go to a few NSFW sites… Then I whip it out… (Well the microfiber cloth of course; what did you think it was? You perv…)

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
I have been using them for years and never had a problem. I have never heard anyone having that problem with them until your post.

It's fine as long as the cloth is clean and as long as the screen doesn't have any abrasive material stuck in it. Gentle swipes across the screen is fine. Problems arise when people start to really rub the screen to remove any dried up snot or whatever :)

Joshua.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.