iPhone X How do you clean up cache and junk files that collect on your iPhone X?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hieveryone, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

I never do a software update. Staying on iOS 12. So I need to know how to clean up my iPhone.

2. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68040

Mr_Brightside_@

Staying on iOS 12.0?

I restore my phone roughly once a year via iTunes and restore my backup, which I find helps.

3. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

Ok so basically just do an iTunes backup, erase my iPhone, then put everything back?

And yes I’m staying on iOS 12 on my iPhone X forever lol my iPhone X runs like BUTTER and while battery life isn’t as good as I would like it’s completely acceptable.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

For those reading the OP, please don’t follow his lead. It is a terrible idea in many ways. He has been advised several times before not to do this.

5. Never mind macrumors 6502

Never mind

I always do a update for the security of my Apple hardware, Wheather it’s an iPhone or an iPad or a MacBook. Most sensible thing to do to protect your system. OP is just plain wrong.

6. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I also update when Apple has an update to the iOS.

I do have to wonder about some of the apps I use as it seems they are updating weekly. I am suspicious. I remember long ago the being a flashlight app on our early iPhones and it would want to update all the time. I finally deleted it as did not see a reason for updates on an app that just turns on the LED.

The OP will update sooner or later.

7. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

Bad idea.

Neglecting Security & App compatibility updates may slow things down for you...

8. Minorite macrumors 6502

Minorite

Yes, encrypted iTunes backup > erase device from settings - General to keep iOS version > restore encrypted backup.

And yes, I understand that everyone has right to do what they want, but I join others about updates. iOS is about security and updates are maid mainly for security fixes (at least in my pink pony world).

9. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68040

Hieveryone

If you keep the apps up to date and they think iOS 12 is OK then shouldn’t you be safe?

I guess the answer is maybe, maybe not.

But yeah I will update eventually, but that will probly be with my next iPhone!

10. chabig macrumors 603

Here is Apple’s advice for cleaning your iPhone.

11. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Well, there are the security updates (among other fixes) that come in iOS updates.

12. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Updates bring further optimisation. Not that you will notice if you're staying on the buggy 12.0 release.

13. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

While updates usually have fixes and refinements, seems like even iOS 12.0 has been pretty good for many, if not most.

14. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

For eg. If you intend to use eSIM, then the latest IOS update addresses eSIM bugs.

15. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

That’s not really cleaning things up. Anything bad will carry over from the backup. The only real way is to set up as new.