How do you clean your in-ear earphones?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by byakuya, Feb 14, 2008.

1. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I have recently acquired the Vmoda Vibes and was wondering how you guys clean your in-ear earphones. The fittings (those foam, silicone earpieces) can be cleaned by just dipping it in warm water and a little of soap I guess. But I have been wondering how to clean the speakers itself (the metal mesh part)? After searching the net for quite a while I have read that even with clean ear canals dirt builds up rather fast with in-ear earphones and that this can lead to sudden volume loss of the earphones.
    If anyone has some good tips and pieces of advice I'd really appreciate it.
    Thanks in advance.

2. ColonelSmith macrumors member

Can you post a picture of what they look like with the fittings off? I have a pair of Ultimate Ear triple.fi Pro 10's and there are two holes that are big enough to clean using the cleaning tool they come with or a paperclip. Try and find something small enough to clear out any buildup. There really isn't a extravagant method to cleaning in-ear earphones. Just point them down and use something small enough to knock any buildup loose. If you can't find anything, then a picture would definitely help us to give you suggestions.

3. byakuya thread starter macrumors 6502a

byakuya

4. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

cotton wool bud on a stick, we call them 'cue-tips' where i come from. :)

5. JoseAfonso macrumors newbie

Hi ColonelSmith,

I own a pair of UE Super.fi 3 Studio. It also comes with a cleaning tool but the dirt has acumulated near the bottom of the hole and I can't reach it... now there is a considerable amount of audio loss on one side. Have you had the same problem? Any suggestions would be most welcome!

Regards,
    José Afonso

6. rayalichan macrumors newbie

Interdental brushes, a solution for cleaning earphones!

Searching for a way to effectively clean my clogged Sennheiser earbud headphones I tried interdental cleaners with pure pharmaceutical alcohol 70%.
    Magic! No need to buy an expensive variety - the cheaper kind works just as well.

By the way: I used interdental brushes to clean my progressively faltering aluminium Mac keyboard - it cannot be dissembled, and just vacuum-cleaning and/or tapping doesn't do the trick. It was shocking to see the amount of cat hairs and other stuff that I removed from under the flat keys!