Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
I was never big fan of screen cleaners. I would just wipe the iPad screen (and iPhone for that matter) with my shirt. Seems to work pretty well. Never scratched the screen or anything over the years of having iPads.

With that said I was in the Apple Store last week wanting to try out Apple Pay and I came across the Whoosh screen cleaner (http://store.apple.com/us/product/HFN22VC/A/whoosh-screen-shine-duo-screen-and-device-cleaner)

Holy Moly this stuff really does work! It's not toxic to the screen and leaves a thin coating that resists fingerprints and dust. When you do get fingerprints on the screen, they wipe off easy. Really quite amazing.

As I said, not a huge fan of screen cleaners but I'm sold on this stuff.

Note: I don't make any money from this or anything. Just sharing for those who are on the fence about screen cleaners.

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
A dry microfiber cloth. That's it. Never put any chemicals on any screen.

If it is truly nasty then lightly damp a paper towel with a bit of water. Same with any monitor.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
See here's the thing. Why? I can see not using corrosive chemical or anything like that but aren't these screens made of glass? People use Windex on their windows all the time and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Also why would Apple sell this product if they thought it was bad for their screens?

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
See here's the thing. Why? I can see not using corrosive chemical or anything like that but aren't these screens made of glass? People use Windex on their windows all the time and it doesn't seem to be an issue. Also why would Apple sell this product if they thought it was bad for their screens?

Your iDevice screens aren't plain glass. Apple coats them within oleopathic coating to reduce fingerprints. The new Air also seems to have some sort of anti-glare coating. Using chemicals can damage these coatings.

Use a clean, microfiber cloth ('clean' being the optimal word here, any speck of sand or debris harder than the coating can scratch). I usually dampen one corner, wipe the screen, then polish with the dry part. No need to use expensive cleaners. If it's not too bad, just polish with the clean cloth.

bornjr

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2011
Virginia
I've used the cleaning cloth that came with my glasses ever since I bought the first ipad/iphone. I spray the cloth 2 or 3 times, wipe the screen clean, and then go over that with a dry microfiber cloth. Works well, never any trouble doing it that way with any of my devices.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Damp microfiber cloth, nothing more is necessary. All those products are gimmicks IMO.

Mstikes

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
I use this...
107b9fcd53407b315084e4ad195d41ea.jpg

ipadlvr

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2014
Don't put any products on any screen.

Trust me.

Keep a microfiber cloth in your bag. Use that.

For very nasty laptop screens, a little bit of clean water. And that's it.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Your iDevice screens aren't plain glass. Apple coats them within oleopathic coating to reduce fingerprints. The new Air also seems to have some sort of anti-glare coating. Using chemicals can damage these coatings.
I understand about the chemical thing but this cleaner has nothing in it that will damage the screen. Here is their description:

WHOOSH! Screen Shine is a superior, powerful, non-toxic cleaner specifically designed to clean ALL screens, consumer electronics and devices. Makes your screens and devices clean, clear and shine like new. Removes dust, dirt, makeup, smudges, skin oils and fingerprints. Safe for ALL screens. Will not harm, damage, scratch or etch sensitive screens or OEM coatings. We guarantee it! Alcohol-free, Ammonia-free, Haze-free, Anti-static and streak-free formulation. Resists against fingerprints. Our proprietary polymers leave a Nano-thin, invisible coating that provides ongoing resistance to dust, dirt, oils and fingerprints. Non-toxic and Eco-friendly. No harmful residues transferred on to your fingers to worry about. Includes ultra-soft W! microfiber clean cloth to make your devices safer to use and easy to keep clean. Great for gamers. Allows gamers' fingers to breeze across the screen faster and with less friction, resulting in faster gameplay, greater accuracy and higher scores.

All those products are gimmicks IMO.
Have you ever used this product? Many will not agree with you.

Don't put any products on any screen. Trust me.
I'm going to need a little more than that to gain your "trust". Why are you so against products like this? Have you ever thought that maybe someone actually invented something that might work?

... and nobody has answered the question on why this is sold in the Apple Store if it was so terrible for their screens.

drea97

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
I don't use nothing on my screen. I have a mini guard anti glare screen protector on my iPad Air.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I understand about the chemical thing but this cleaner has nothing in it that will damage the screen. Here is their description:

WHOOSH! Screen Shine is a superior, powerful, non-toxic cleaner specifically designed to clean ALL screens, consumer electronics and devices. Makes your screens and devices clean, clear and shine like new. Removes dust, dirt, makeup, smudges, skin oils and fingerprints. Safe for ALL screens. Will not harm, damage, scratch or etch sensitive screens or OEM coatings. We guarantee it! Alcohol-free, Ammonia-free, Haze-free, Anti-static and streak-free formulation. Resists against fingerprints. Our proprietary polymers leave a Nano-thin, invisible coating that provides ongoing resistance to dust, dirt, oils and fingerprints. Non-toxic and Eco-friendly. No harmful residues transferred on to your fingers to worry about. Includes ultra-soft W! microfiber clean cloth to make your devices safer to use and easy to keep clean. Great for gamers. Allows gamers' fingers to breeze across the screen faster and with less friction, resulting in faster gameplay, greater accuracy and higher scores.

Have you ever used this product? Many will not agree with you.

I'm going to need a little more than that to gain your "trust". Why are you so against products like this? Have you ever thought that maybe someone actually invented something that might work?

... and nobody has answered the question on why this is sold in the Apple Store if it was so terrible for their screens.

Why buy and use a product that is not required?

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
Fuzzy fingers work well

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C936QBI/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1414441072&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
I give it and my iphone a big lick and wipe it dry with my shirt

----------

I was never big fan of screen cleaners. I would just wipe the iPad screen (and iPhone for that matter) with my shirt. Seems to work pretty well. Never scratched the screen or anything over the years of having iPads.

With that said I was in the Apple Store last week wanting to try out Apple Pay and I came across the Whoosh screen cleaner (http://store.apple.com/us/product/HFN22VC/A/whoosh-screen-shine-duo-screen-and-device-cleaner)

Holy Moly this stuff really does work! It's not toxic to the screen and leaves a thin coating that resists fingerprints and dust. When you do get fingerprints on the screen, they wipe off easy. Really quite amazing.

As I said, not a huge fan of screen cleaners but I'm sold on this stuff.

Note: I don't make any money from this or anything. Just sharing for those who are on the fence about screen cleaners.

How often do you use it?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY

If it is truly nasty then lightly damp a paper towel with a bit of water. Same with any monitor.

Mega dittos. I've always done this and the screen on my Air looks brand new. One thing that helps is to clean it often so nothing builds up or stays on the screen for very long.

That's all.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Just a dry microfiber cloth. You need to buy more of them every-so-often because they loose their effect even if you wash them.

jobs.jdfournier

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
I don't think a dry microfiber cloth will do squat to the layers of boogers, goop, and dry jellied remains I find regularly on my iPad after the kid gets his hands on it. It is an old ipad so no special coatings. I have used windex for years on it.

ayobonus

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
I use iKlear. I've been using it since Apple sold them in stores many years ago. They don't sell it anymore, but you can still get it from Amazon. Love iKlear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.