How do you clean your screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kindashoulda, Sep 9, 2009.

1. kindashoulda macrumors newbie

I take my macbook everywhere. It's a pretty rugged and solid piece, but the screen is getting pretty dirty. I'm afraid to use windex or anything like that. What are your suggestions?

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

windex works fine if you have the glossy screen since is glass.

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not sure I'd want to use windex on it....

I've heard its not really a smart thing to do.

4. masteroflondon macrumors regular

I use Monster Screen Clean (I think that's the name, definitely Monster is the brand) as sold by Apple.

I started using this with my matte Mac's but now also the glossy, which I presume are less fussy anyway. I also use it on all my LCD tv's, picture frames etc.

Works brilliantly, no smears. Looks pretty smeary when you start but suddenly evaporates, leaving everything clean and lovely.

5. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Personally I follow the instructions in the user handbook that came with the macbook pro.

"Clean with a damp micro fiber cloth with water"

Do not use windex as it contains Ammonia which is acidic (not good if it leaks past the glass, and would kill the LCD screen behind it).

If you don't want to use water, which I don't see why you wouldn't as Apple says to use water, then make an Isopropyl solution with water:

50% isopropyl (rubbing alcohol)
    50% water

Spray that solution (once mixed well) onto a micro fiber cloth and wipe the screen, this is exactly what is in all commercial screen cleaners only without the expensive price tag.

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Spit and my left sock. (The right sock is for the keyboard).

Of course if I'm barefoot I'll use "Glass Plus" and a cotton towel. It's like windex without the ammonia.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If I'm lazy, I'll hose it off, if I want to really clean it, I'll put it in the dishwasher

:p

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Water. The best solvent in the whole wide world! I mean, I don't see why you would need anything more unless you're eating greasy food and then wiping it on the screen but for just fingerprints here and there, water and a soft cloth works fine!

9. Eshyn macrumors member

I too opt for the damp microfiber method for my matte screen. Works great.

10. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

Ammonia builds up, you will eventually get a hazy layer of gunk that is a pain to remove.

Distilled water or LCD cleaner should work fine.

A microfiber cloth between your keyboard and screen when you close your notebook helps keep the finger-grease off the screen.

11. ShortCutMan macrumors member

I use iKlear. Gets rid of all the crap that builds up making it a lot clearer.

12. kindashoulda thread starter macrumors newbie

THanks for the tip on this! A friend actually had a bottle of it, but i didn't know what it was until i read your post. I'm with you 100%. No smears, and my iphone looks brand new everytime i use it. CHeaply priced too so I went out and bought a few bottles.

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

If you wear glasses, use that. If not, it's available cheaply at most grocery stores or pharmacies.

14. earth.mark.two macrumors newbie

earth.mark.two

I use a cheaper alternative I got from my local Mac store (not an official Apple store, just a little 20sq.f building) that was only AUD10, instead of the AUD45 iKlear costs. It's got only one bottle of solution and one cloth though, so it's obvious why iKlear costs extra, but also does everything I need, and it came with this awesome little dust brush that I LOVE. So yeah, just shop around, any LCD screen cleaner will work. Like the others mentioned, Windex is a bad idea because it has Ammonia :)

15. kindashoulda thread starter macrumors newbie

Checked out that stuff and it looks pretty legit.. I'll give it a shot :D

http://www.monstercable.com/screenclean/monster_screenclean.asp

16. creon macrumors 6502

A Cotton Cloth and Water ;).

Best thing you can do without the expansive price tag!

17. compuguy1088 macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

Personally, the best way to clean LCD monitors is to use the same stuff to clean eyeglasses with (spraying it onto, say a kimwipe). I've always had to many problems with water, resulting in streaking....

[​IMG]

18. Moriarty macrumors 6502

http://www.radtech.us/Products/OmniCleanz.aspx

This stuff is really good, and you can buy it with a microfibre cloth (my cloth survives the washing machine fine, so should be good for years).

US $15 for 4 oz. spray + cloth will last you for ever, unless you clean your screen about 10 times a day.

19. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502

mcpryon2

I just use water, then when it's dry I go over it with the cloth that came with the MBP. I don't want to use any chemicals because the glass is acrylic glass, not silica glass.

20. ItsAllLuck macrumors newbie

the monster screen cleaner works really well on my iphone as well. i used to use water, but i'm realizing how it doesn't really do much.

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This :D

I actually use some wipes made for glasses that seem to work pretty well.

22. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The little LCD screen wipes. They come in a box and each wipe is individually wrapped, sort of like a wet nap. They clean the screen very well and don't streak.

23. Thiol macrumors 6502a

Thiol

I second iKlear. I like the little disposable towelettes.

24. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Apologies if this is kind of off-topic, but it's cleaning product related. Is it just me, or does the IKlear Apple Polish cleaning stuff sold at every Apple store... Just suck?

I know it says polish, and the instructions say to spray it on and buff it until it disappears completely, but I've never been completely happy cleaning my mac or iPod with it. It always seems to leave a bunch of residue no matter what I do.

You'd think Apple would sell a better general purpose cleaner, even if it's just purified water in a spray bottle.

25. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k