how do you compete with places like logodesignguru?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by Yr Blues, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

They charge like $99 for a logo and I've been charging way way more. kind of hard to compete with nowadays. i should do something other than design. :confused: jeez

is it all outsourced to slave labor???

2. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I strongly believe you get what you pay for. If you want to pay for crap, you'll get crap.

The problem is that a lot of people do want to pay for crap.

So yeah, either start selling crap so you can compete at the $99 level, or do better marketing to find the people who are willing to pay for real work.

3. Yr Blues thread starter macrumors 68020

ooh marketing....:D i lack that talent....mostly 'cos I get intimidated so easily

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, the company I WORK FOR went that route. Extremely frustrating. The logos weren't bad, per say, but definitely products of India.

I even spent a full day conceptualizing and coming up with designs. It's insane how many people think 'what looks good' to them makes the product communicable to the widest audience.

5. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

My Design company charges over $1200 for a logo design, and we have more work than we can poke a stick at. Most people are smart enough to realise, "You Get What You Pay For".

For some people starting a business, $99 is all they can afford. Of course if your starting a business and all you can afford is $99, well your probably under funded on capital to really make the business a success in the first place.

Just this week I had a guy call me, I gave him a quote, and he mentioned the $99 / $200 options floating around out there, and after some discussion, he went with us anyway, even though we are in excess of $1200. IF you have a good product and believe in it, people will see the value.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Here's my freebie for your company. Your new tagline, "We Fix $99 Logos".

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I checked out the site... and every logo looked like a $99 logo.

You DO get what you pay for.

8. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

I need a new logo for my biz, and I went to logodesignguru.com and there's not a category for graphic design agencies.

What a disappointment that was.

9. tkingart macrumors 6502

tkingart

You could advertise that you don't use wingdings or $10 for 1 million cliparts DVD's.

10. splitpea macrumors 6502a

It's about the value of your work. Demonstrate that you produce much better design, and find customers who actually have a budget to work with. You don't want the $99 logo type clients anyway. They always want something for nothing and don't understand design enough to treat you as anything other than a Photoshop jockey -- miserable to work with.

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

You dont compete, its a different market for different needs. Thats like asking how is a 5 star restaurant supposed to compete with Taco Bell?
    I dont. There are some bad designers out there that charge a lot more than $99 and could never create a logo half as good as some of the people that might do a $99 logo on that site. Industries like this are still heavily based on "who you know" rather than "what you know" when it comes to getting work.

12. Nostromo macrumors 65816

Nostromo

I think it's a wrong attitude to be scared of cheap providers.

You need to make sure your work is better than theirs, and you will get clients that are not going the cheap way.

PS: I'd rather do my logo design myself than ordering these uninspired logos. I think those 99$ (and it's only the starer package where a trainee is probably throwing one hour at your project) are a complete waste of money.

If I hire a designer, then I hire a designer that I like. If I don't have the money I don't hire a designer I don't like just because he's cheap.

13. alexander7.zen macrumors newbie

Logo design

I checked out the site and everyone saying about the cost of logo design would be more than $99.I would appreciate if anyone can quote less than $99.
    Looking for response.

14. sigmadog macrumors 6502a

sigmadog

If I had no scruples, I would buy logos from places like that then mark them up and sell them to unsuspecting clients for outlandish prices.

Damn! I hate having scruples.

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Right, and my response essentially said that if a 5-star restaurant is worried about competing with Taco Bell, then they could either start selling inexpensive, mass-produced fast food, or they could not compete with fast food places and continue to market to a more upscale clientele.

Of course you're right, some places charge the 5-star prices and still give you crappy food, and there are also gems of fast food places (I happen to like shawarma places, myself.. ;) ) but generally speaking I think the analogy holds.

16. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

How to you compete with cheap design? Well, if you're a good designer... you don't. One way to explain it is that fine dining restaurants don't worry about the McDonalds across the street. It's a different demographic. If you're selling post-hole digging services, then a $99 logo slapped onto your 2 page website and the side of your truck is just fine. However, if you want a thoughtful design that takes into account the message of your company and is timeless, then you have to pay for the research and development that goes into that.

17. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I can quote you less than $99, but we would be talking hourly with a minimum hourly charge.

18. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

You don't need to compete with $99 after all quality clients will understand the value of quality well researched design.

19. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

$99 would get you 50 minutes of my time :)

Quote done.

But I can't see how any decent professional can quote below $500 for a logo considering the time, effort, software and hardware involved unless you're daylighting at work or using pirate software me hearties!

20. Elixer macrumors regular

Lol, I love how there is a google ad for $99 custom logos how fitting... :rolleyes: