How do you cover up filming in horizontal/vertical mode?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BoxerRobban472, Feb 9, 2015.

1. BoxerRobban472 macrumors member

Hello!

Me and a couple of friends have a school project that we were supposed to film. Now, after I started editing it, I realise that we have filmed some scenes with our camera (an iPad) holding it horizontally and some holding it vertically. We would like the whole movie to be in horizontal mode, but unfortunately we don't have time to re-do any of the scenes.

So what I'm asking you guys is: Is it possible to "cover" this up in some way? Is it possible to change a vertical view to a horizontal view without making it look to bad? I was thinking about using this kind of effect Pewdiepie used in his flappy bird video. Look how it changes between 3:52 and 4:25. Does anyone know how that is done? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQz6xhlOt18&spfreload=10

Thanks!:)

2. Supermacguy macrumors regular

It's not hard to deduce what's going on there- the same screen image, either live or a static screenshot, is being blurred and stretched to cover the background area on either side of the portrait video. I'd suggest a static image that you blur, because having the same video with motion in the background could be very distracting from the main content.

3. ColdCase macrumors 68030

I usually crop/trim vertical video to better fit the horizontal screen. But you do loose some resolution/detail, which is a don't care for some videos.

4. plusnq macrumors member

5. BoxerRobban472 thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the late answer, but thank you so much for the info! It really helped!:)