Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
I'm using Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac. When I create a spreadsheet in Excel, I label the columns (e.g. Date, Amount, etc.). When the spreadsheet becomes more than one page, I have to manually insert the column headers, which can get annoying with all the copying and pasting required if I have to insert or delete a row, or two or more, in the previous page.

Does anyone know how to create column headers that will automatically show up on every page of the spreadsheet? Please note that I am not referring to a page header (i.e. in the top margin), which will automatically show up on every page but is not what I need to learn how to do.

Thanks.

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Can you clarify your intent and objective? Do you want to do this so you can see the pages better or do you want this specifically for print?

I suppose for both, but mostly for printing the header of every column on every page. If I don't manually insert the column headers, it's hard to know what each column represents (particularly if they are similar numbers), unless I flip to the front page to see what that column represents.

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Well, first, the minor issue, which is for screen view. Depending on which view you use (page layout, etc) it's easiest just to freeze the pane so your column/row labels are visible.

For printing, go to File -> Page Setup. Select the tab labeled "Sheet."

You will find various options there. Depending on your usage, you should be able to do what you want with a combination of the Print Titles and Repeat Print Row/Columns.

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Well, first, the minor issue, which is for screen view. Depending on which view you use (page layout, etc) it's easiest just to freeze the pane so your column/row labels are visible.

For printing, go to File -> Page Setup. Select the tab labeled "Sheet."

You will find various options there. Depending on your usage, you should be able to do what you want with a combination of the Print Titles and Repeat Print Row/Columns.

Cool. I'm at the "Sheet" tab, but how do I put in a particular row header? Cutting and pasting the row doesn't seem work and neither does putting in the row number. Is it a particular formula (i.e. cells)? Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: It seems to want the cell reference (e.g. A1:R1) - which works. But can I put in two or more rows?

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
Cool. I'm at the "Sheet" tab, but how do I put in a particular row header? Cutting and pasting the row doesn't seem work and neither does putting in the row number. Is it a particular formula (i.e. cells)? Any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: It seems to want the cell reference (e.g. A1:R1) - which works. But can I put in two or more rows?

Yeah, if you select that hashed grey button next to the text field, you can visually select multiple rows.

Or you can just do $1:$X where X is the number of rows you want to go down.

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Yeah, if you select that hashed grey button next to the text field, you can visually select multiple rows.

Or you can just do $1:$X where X is the number of rows you want to go down.

Thank-you, my friend, your advice worked like a charm. Take care, and mods may close this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.