How Do You "De-Saturate" White in FCE?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nyycavo24, Jul 18, 2009.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

Working with some old, converted VHS Footage....its sports footage...so the bleeding white is really painful to look at!

What can I do? This is time sensitive.

Thanks in advance...

2. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

Not totally sure what your trying to do, but it sounds like maybe the levels filter might help.

3. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

Basically whats happening is that the white color from the Jersey is "bleeding" into the black jersey number.

Secondary to that, anyone wearing white is so bright/glowing, that its hard to look at them.

I know how to "turn down" green/blue when this happens, but not white. You say play with the levels filter...any particular setting that will help to resolve this without killing the rest of the video?

If you need a screen shot to understand further, let me know.

4. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

White is overexposure. There is no detail in it to "bring out".

When you were able to with other colors, they were just brighter/darker, not blown out.

5. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

I understand the overexposure piece...I'm not looking to "bring out" the color....I'm looking to make it less "white" or darker I suppose, without dimming out the entire screen.

I'm assuming from your answer that there is no way to do this?

As with green (the playing field) when I did this, there is no way to darken the white?

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Im sure you could screw with the levels. And bring the white point down a bit.

Photoshop can do it, so why cant FCE?

7. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate the quick reply!

If you know of/have a suggestion for a particular filter or level control that might be able to do this, please let me know...I would greatly appreciate it!

8. huntercr macrumors 65816

You can do this with the limit on chroma/luma on the color corrector. ONce you have your white masked off, invert it, and dial down the brightness ( and change the hue probably too ).

It's likely going to look "wrong" if you don't do this subtly. I was able to correct this "kinda OK" from a light fixture next to a subject in one of my videos. Messing with it too much just attracted one's attention to the blowout though. Honestly, I'm not sure it was worth the effort when I did it.