How do you deal with all the cables?!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amoda, Aug 31, 2010.

1. amoda macrumors 6502a

I'm up to here *points to head* with all the cables around my desk and I'd love to know how do people deal with them?

I've googled for some cable management stuff, but they're all big and bulky themselves. Anyone buy something small, effective, and ideally cheap recently to handle the mess?

Thanks for any help!

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

3. amoda thread starter macrumors 6502a

:eek:

Small, check! Effective, check! Cheap, check! Hilarious too! I can't believe I didn't think of that!

4. mwayne85 macrumors regular

That's actually a great idea. I'll have to try this.

5. MonkeyET macrumors 6502

I have gotten rid of the things that are unnecessary. The rest I have hidden in tubes that attach to the back of my desk. They are virtually invisible from the front of the desk. Cable ties keep them together. Everything that can be wireless, is.

6. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

This is great.

7. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

This page has some pretty cool and off the wall ideas regarding cable management...

8. camomac macrumors 6502a

camomac

that is one of the best ideas i have seen in a while..
    man, i got tons of those laying around. i use them for
    chip bag clips too. AWESOME!

9. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

This problem needs more than bulldog clips . . . .

Attached Files:

10. emaja macrumors 68000

I have Anthro's standard unit that has a built-in "trench" in the back of the base. It has holes so I can use cable ties to keep everything in that trench. I have a Dell monitor that has USB ports in it, so I don't have to worry about the clutter of cables for various USB devices.

I then cable tied the heck out of everything. All the power cords are run down the side of one of the legs and cable tied to it. I have my stuff plugged into a UPS and that is also mounted below the desk. The only cord I now have is the power cord that runs from the desk to the wall.

Plugged my laser printer into my Airport and the color printer is wireless.

I just bought a new iMac for the kids and built a simple desk from IKEA. Lagan countertop with 4 legs and casters. I ran a Signum rack under it and drilled a hole to pass the cables through. I also cut a hole for a Belkin in-desk USB hub.

In either case, there are no visible cables ruining what would otherwise be a clean setup.

11. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Yeah, like cable ties and a proper administrator who know to do a structured cable management:
    [​IMG]

12. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

Usually I keep the chargers and transformers that I'm not using in two old plastic crates from Ikea with castors on them - I switch the stuff around under my desk a lot, instead of just leaving everything plugged in, but for people older than me (most people) I can imagine they might not be able to do it as easily, since I'm only small....