How do you deal with cables

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dubaimac, Jul 30, 2009.

1. dubaimac macrumors regular

Just wondering how you all deal with the mass of cables and wires associated with Mac's, dual monitors, external drives, as well as the mass of chargers, telephones, scanners, printers, lamps, humidor's :), the works, I have just ordered a truck load of velcro ties, and got a special on the new cable drops from blue lounge, 5 bucks a pack here in dubai, to stick under the desk, I am trying to keep data and power separate, any pitfalls?

Got to get it all finished and tidy before the wife gets back from her parents, I have a week!!!!!

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I use shedded snake skin.
    Or, you know, a velcro tie.
    I prefer the former.

What is the punishment if you dont get it done before she gets back?

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I have big studio monitors to hide a lot of things, but I use two different surge protectors and then loads of zip ties.

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Zip ties are a pain because you can't reuse them. I have to move my entire computer setup 4 times a year so zip ties wouldn't work for me.

6. dubaimac thread starter macrumors regular

A new dishwasher, and a couple of days of "I new it would look awful, why do you need it anyway!!!!" she has OCD when it comes to cables and things, no concept that they are a necessity!!!!

7. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I found that if you stick to most of apples offerings, you eliminate cables. Good and a bad thing.

My mac pro has the cable to two 23" ACD's. Only one cable to each monitor. Before I had a couple different ones running up there.

Couple that with a wireless mouse/keyboard you are good.

But to get everything out of the way, Ikea has a cable holder. That coupled with zip ties and under desk clamps make my desktop look pretty clear of cables. External harddrives I keep near the mac pro, so they are just stuffed back there as well.

I will post a pic in the mac setups as soon as I get my second 23" hooked up later today.

Kellen