how do you deal with syncing multiple iDevices & itunes? (app selection a pain)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kaelell, Jun 8, 2010.

1. kaelell macrumors 6502

Just wondering if I am missing something or how others deal with this,
    I've got 2 iPhones 1 is my wifes) and an Ipad all syncing to the same Itunes on my mac with the same store account.

As they all have different apps and home screen layout, the problem is when I connect a device , it keeps the app selection for the previous device. Meaning everytime I sync something I have to go through and unselect what I dont want to copy over and re-arrange the layout and its a bit of a pain. Music behaves as it should, only remembering what was set up for that specific device, not randomly selecting anything I havent done myself so why don't the apps behave the same!

2. JulianL macrumors 65816

That sound horrible. I see that a beta of iTunes 9.2 has just been released to developers at WWDC this week and will surely go to general availability in time for the iPhone 4 release on June 24th. I wonder if that will address the issue. Can anyone who's played with the 9.2 beta comment?

I'm lucky, I only have the single iPad and will become a multiple i<thing> household only when the iPhone 4 comes out so an iTunes 9.2 fix would be great for me.

- Julian

3. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I have 2 iPods and the iPad. Never had the issue you are having. I thought the iPhone synced the same way.

Just a thought. Do all devices have unique names?

4. kaelell thread starter macrumors 6502

They do all have unique names. You mentioned you had 2 iPods, presumably you wouldnt therefore see the App section on the iPod when syncing? as thats the only area this is happening.

5. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Ok, now I understand your problem. I guess that's part of apple allowing you to purchase apps once and use them on all your devices. Still, sounds a little aggravating. Have you contacted apple about this?

6. boyced macrumors member

did u setup as a new device or backup of other device?

7. kaelell thread starter macrumors 6502

Good thinking, however all set up as new devices. This has been an issue for some time, but hasnt really bothered me too much as I didnt sync that often, however now owning an Ipad im finding im syncing alot more and the difference in apps between devices is alot greater and hence highlighting this inconvinience or design oversight alot more.
    Posting on the Apple help site is a good shout, Ill try that next, was interested to see if others are having the same problem, I can only hope its been raised before and therefore being addressed in the next iTunes.

8. camarobh macrumors 6502

Works fine for me

I have an iPad and an iPhone and other than the inital sync of the iPad (where all of my apps were synced to it by default) I have different apps synced to the two different devices. They each show as a "device" (along with my Apple TVs) in iTunes, each with their own app settings.

9. Capt T macrumors 6502a

Are you unchecking the box in the list to the left or doing it from the screens you can rearrange on?

I have an iPhone and iPad that sync to the same account and only have to deal with new apps wanting to sync to both devices. I use the check boxes on the left to select which ones.

10. kaelell thread starter macrumors 6502

Interesting what you say about only dealing with new apps perhaps, this is what is happening, having not syncing previously that often and purchasing different apps accross the devices, possibly they are the ones that are appearing and trying to sync to other devices. will need to check this theory when I get home. I am using the check boxes on the actual screen you arrange it on, so thats also something I will consider trying differently.

thanks for your comments.

11. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

I use the current version of iTunes on a Windows system, and have no troubles synchronising my iPod classic, and iPad - none of the apps / music overlap each other. My trick was when I first connected the device to iTunes was to rename it to something to differentiate the hardware. All good so far.

12. sheppy1 macrumors 6502a

sheppy1

I have this exact problem too! I will connect my iPhone to my PC, select all the apps that I want to have on it, sync and disconnect, all good but then I'll connect my iPad to my PC and it will start to sync all of the apps I selected to be put on my iPhone onto my iPad, only way I can fix this is to let it go ahead and do it and then just untick them and sync again, it's soooooo annoying

13. kaelell thread starter macrumors 6502

your Ipod classic wouldnt have the App section though right? thats where the problem is.

14. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

When I also had my iPod touch 8GB it also had not issues and some apps would show on the ipad and not on the iPod touch as I set it up. To my knowledge each device creates a profile, so the apps will only install on a particular device.

15. jtara macrumors 65816

I've noticed this since I got my iPad.

When you install a NEW app on a device, it will also be installed on any OTHER compatible device the next time that device is synced, unless you uncheck the app.

So, I install a new app on my iPhone. Next time I sync the iPad, it shows-up there, unless I first un-check it.

If I install a new app on my iPad, it shows up on the iPhone next time I sync, unless it's an iPad-only app.