How do you do a fresh OSX install on a MAC?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by snuhmcsnort, Nov 25, 2009.

1. snuhmcsnort macrumors newbie

hi! i hope this is the right place to post this.
    i just got a used mac g5 dual with no hard drive, thus no os.
    I bought a sata drive, used macdrive on my pc to format it to hsf extended. installed it in the mac tower.
    put in my osx 10.4 install disk (after holding down mouse button at startup), and i'm looking at - not an install screen - but a screen with a folder icon in the midle that flashes the mac finder icon.
    i'm guessing the disk is not being seen for the install.
    i tried pressing 'c' at startup, i get a gray screen for a moment and then it goes to the folder screen again.

my question is: how do i do a fresh install on a mac? do i need a certain os version to start from scratch? thanks!!!!

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Pull the HD, reboot with the DVD and select that drive as the startup disk.

Reinstall the HD, and it should boot from the CD automatically, and you should be able to format and install from there.

Edit: sounds like a pain, but it is a quick and dirty method to get around a boot volume issue as long as the machine will boot from the DVD.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You need to hold down C to boot from the disc. Are you using a retail 10.4 disc? One that came with another machine will not work.

4. snuhmcsnort thread starter macrumors newbie

tried the disk method...

so, i unplugged the internal drive and restarted the mac with the install disk inside, i held the 'c' button as the chime went during powering up. and i just got a gray screen.
    any suggestions?
    please?

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

How long are you waiting? It takes a while to start from disc.

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Try this:

- reinstall the empty hard drive.

- hold down the mouse button to open the CD/DVD drive door. When it opens, put the OS X DVD in and close it.

- IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN. This should invoke the "Startup Manager"

- You should see the icon of the DVD in the startup manager. Click on it, and then click the rightward-pointing arrow to continue the startup process.

- this should direct the Mac to boot from the startup disk.

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

ok dont listen to them and pull out the hard drive and crap. insert ur os x cd, and boot up while holding down the option key as soon as u hear a chime. click on the arrow underneath the os x cd. now it should boot up, click ur language and whatever but as soon as u get to the thing where it has all the stuff at the top menubar, ur going to click utilities, then disk utility. now to the left sidebar should be ur hard drive, not click the partition tab and under volume scheme, where the drop down it should be a default selection "currect" click on that dropdown and select 1 partition, over to the right, name it "Macintosh HD". click partition, then exit out of disk utility, u should be back at the installation screen, install it to Macintosh HD, it may restart during the process but this is normal so dont freak out. good luck and have fun!

*EDIT* forgot to also mention to partition it as mac os x extended (journaled). sorry lol was in a rush

8. brisbaneguy29 macrumors 6502

brisbaneguy29

Have you checked that the DVD your using is compatible with that machine. If you borrowed someone elses iMac DVD, it wont work on a PowerMac. The DVD that ships with a machine is suitable only for that type of machine. It is slightly different to a generic retail copy, that will install on any Mac.