How do you do it?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by iMacZealot, Jan 5, 2008.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I'm a member of a lot of other forums, but I've never been on one as long as I have been on MR. So many other sites run wild with banner ads, poor organization, little to no moderation, a negativistic atmosphere, and a clown car dealership's worth of trolls, spammers, and jokers. I only see the opposite of all of those qualities here. How do you do it?

This is just my small way of saying thank you to all the administrators. :)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i think alot of it is the people here dont put up with it and immediatly report posts that are those kinds

i too am impressed.

i will say this is my first forum ive posted in as well as the only forum ive posted in ever as far as i can recall at the moment.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

The small (but slowly growing) army of Mods does excellent work. Without them this place would be a complete nightmare. I'd like to buy each and every mod a drink, in person.

4. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Also, I might add that whomever writes the front page does an exception job writing (especially compared to a blogger), as well as determining what is credible and relevant enough to add on there.

5. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

I'd also like to applaud the Mods for not being too overbearing.

I've been a part of at least one forum where the Mods will lock any thread that turns into a debate and where even when the posts aren't bad, it seems every other one has an "Edited by Moderator" note on it.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thank you

We try to keep a light tough whenever we can. People who "get in trouble" might beg to differ, but our goal is to avoid interference in discussion threads except when a member is making the forums less enjoyable for other forum members. Our rules derive from that philosophy, which was set by site-owner arn long ago.

Our moderators make a lot of judgment calls every day, and they are very dedicated, so I'll second your kind comments about the job they do.

By the way, you can identify the author of each news story by a byline under the title.