How do you download iPhone 3.0 as a .dmg

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sleepyyet, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Sleepyyet macrumors member

Hey guys, I downloaded the beta version of iPhone 3.0 but I dont know how to install it onto my iPhone via iTunes. Any suggestions would be helpful. Do I connect my iPhone to itunes and click "update" or what? Thanks.

2. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

No. You mount it in OSX then extract the IPSW THEN and only then can you do it.

3. Justibackwardsn macrumors member

Place the downloaded file here:

Open finder -> Macintosh HD -> Users -> [the user name you update your iPhone with -> Library -> iTunes -> iPhone Software Updates -> [place file]

I'm assuming thats what you need to do. Thats what I had to do when I Jailbroke my phone. Or, alternatively, you could place the file anywhere, and press and hold Option while you click "Restore" in iTunes, or Alt on windows.

4. Sleepyyet thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded the iphone 3.0 beta as a developer but I do not know what file to replace it with. Im new to all of this. I got my activation code, downloaded beta 3.0 but at this point have no clue on what to do next. Help

5. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

On a Mac in iTunes hold Option while pressing "restore" on your iPhone tab within iTunes. Select the downloaded IPSW file, after opening and mounting the .dmg from Apple and iTunes will do the work from there I assume. This is knowledge from jailbreaking and should be the method they use...

6. Justibackwardsn macrumors member

Personally, I wouldn't replace the file with anything. iTunes knows which software is the new one, if you place the file exactly where I told you to.

If you haven't already, you may need to update iTunes to the latest version. Apple is tricky about those kinds of things.

Did it download as a DMG or a IPSW file? If it downloaded as a DMG, you WOULD have to open the file, and let it install on your computer first. If it is an IPSW, you don't have to do anything but restore your phone to that file.

(Not related) Anyone know what you would need with an activation code? Does it ask you for one when you install the 3.0 on the phone?

7. Sleepyyet thread starter macrumors member

It downloaded it as a .dmg file and it took about 30 minutes. When I go to option and restore, it doesnt give me the option of .ipsw or anything. All of the files that it opens are all grayed out. If this makes any sense.

8. Justibackwardsn macrumors member

Did you open the DMG file? It should extract itself and possibly pull up a window.

Open finder and search for "iphone restore" and see what you find. What ever you find, make sure it has 3.0 somewhere in the file name.

And in iTunes to restore the phone, when you hold option and click, it should open a Finder window for you to look through your computer to find the ipsw

9. jsh macrumors regular

Do what the first person who responded to your post said.

10. Sleepyyet thread starter macrumors member

How do I mount it in OSX then extract the ipsw? Im clueless. It downloaded as a .dmg file and I cant seem to find the ipsw anywhere.

11. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Just double-click it to mount it. The IPSW is inside. Drag it on your desktop and then option+click restore in iTunes to select the IPSW where you put it. I believe you can also place it in your iPhone Software Update folder in iTunes.

12. Justibackwardsn macrumors member

You might want to call Apple and see what they can do. Apparently me and Auzburner are doing it the bootleg way haha.

or maybe I'm right after all.... either way if you are having that much trouble with it, Apple would be glad to help you, I'm sure.

13. jvalal macrumors newbie

3.0 File

hello all,

I'm also trying to install the 3.0 and I am a dev so have downloaded the .dmg. In the dmg there are packages, but none of mine say 3.0. Where would this be?

Video >> http://screencast.com/t/fHidjQwqJ

Thanks
    Jason

14. Acevesx macrumors regular

Can anyone direct me where to download 3.0 DMG? I have had my UDID added I just need the actual 3.0 software!

15. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

Hi,

where can I find my "UDIDS" code in my dev acct?

Thanks.

16. jvalal macrumors newbie

Download

I had the same problem...

Login to your developer acct and then go here

http://developer.apple.com/iphone/index.action#

under iPhone downloads (middle right) select the phone you have.

I thought the download was under the label iphone 3.0 beta or the icon, but as you probably discovered that doesn't work.

The links under downloads are poorly labeled and should include some reference to 3.0 or beta, not the titles they have,

17. jvalal macrumors newbie

Udids

Just click the serial number in iTunes when you load your phone.. it toggles, for her pleasure.

18. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

Very long code indeed, now where do I put this code?

19. daryliow macrumors regular

wheres the options key on my MacBook? Im stupid

20. jvalal macrumors newbie

21. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

22. DblHelix macrumors 6502

First, make sure that you go to the iPhone Developer Program Portal and follow the instructions to register your iPhone. If you do not do this you will not be able to sync with iTunes and, depending on your carrier, you may not even be able to use the iPhone.

Second, connect the iPhone to your computer, open iTunes and go to the tab where you would restore the iPhone. If you have a mac hold option and click on restore. On a PC I think it is alt+restore. Point the computer to the new ipsx file. It will upgrade the phone.

At this point you will be good to go.

23. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

You got that right. I'm not going to pay $99 for something that is fun to play with... Sure it's neat and great for those who want to develop, but I have no desire, so for now I will employ my own methods to obtain 3.0 - Some people here should not have or attempt using 3.0 because they will likely mess something up. It's a beta for a reason, not something you want to use when you know little about what you are doing on your computer. And some questions are better off googled:
    For daryliow

I still have to get my UDID registered, but have no motivation at the moment for the available features that are actually working on 3.0...

24. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee

If anyone was wondering how to become one of my favorite users on macrumors.com, all it takes is a link like the one Auzburner posted.

25. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

Or you can just go to edit and copy while it is displayed in iTunes. It automatically copies it (since you can't highlight it).

To the OP.. download it from the Dev iPhone Apple site. When it is downloaded find the zip file (.dmg) and double click it. It will unzip onto your desktop. Then go to iTunes. Connect your iPhone, sync it and then hold option (mac) or alt (PC) and click restore. It will then restore it and iTunes Store will come up to verify that your UID is registered with Apple, if it is then it will unlock your iPhone and it will finish restoring.

Now you can use 3.0 Beta and enjoy all the bugs with the rest of us.