How do you eject a disc that is in use, like a CD-ROM

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by foostle, Mar 29, 2010.

1. foostle macrumors newbie

I just got a new CD-ROM to help me learn sign language. I put in the first CD and to access certain material I have to insert another CD. I can't eject the first one when the window is up on the screen. When I do eject it the window closes and the second disc doesn't work. Any help would be appreciated. There HAS to be a way to override this. I just want to be able to eject the first disc without having to quit everything.

2. Buzz Bumble Guest

Sounds like a badly written piece of software (or Windows software - the same thing really).

Firstly look on the first CD for an installer to install the application onto you Mac's hard drive. If there isn't one, try dragging the folder / CD into your Applications folder. Then you may be able to run the application from the hard drive and have the second disc in the CD drive.

A second option could be to make a disc image of the first CD (via Disk Utilitiy?). This disc image could then be mounted by doubled-clicking it and the Mac should see it as a normal disc from which you can run the application and have the second disc in the CD drive. (Or vice-versa: create a disc image of the second disc and have the first disc in the CD drive.)

Another option may be copying all the files off both CDs and burning them to a DVD, but you may have to be careful where you put the files.

Failing that, you may need to buy an external USB CD drive. :(

3. foostle thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!!!!!

I got it to work by copying the first CD and then running it from there. Now I can switch out the others CDs in the set. Thanks a lot for your help!:):):)

4. drndown2008 macrumors newbie

One thing that pisses me off about Apple is the fact that esthetics trumps functionality. Would it have killed them to put an eject button on the front of my beautiful Mac Pro? As it is, any time a CD is in use, I have to reboot to get it out (hold down mouse button). Insanity.... (can you tell I'm mad? :) )

5. lyons238 macrumors 6502

there should be an eject button on your keyboard...look at the top right of your keyboard..

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah, but there is still no way to force an eject. ;)

7. Bostonaholic macrumors 6502

Bostonaholic

In terminal try

Code:
    drutil tray eject