Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Hey guys,

Well I am waiting on my leopard dvd to come.

In the mean time I have backed my entire computer up to another HDD, so I figured I would experiment with this one.

I took my tiger backup discs that came with my iMac and tried to install a fresh install of tiger...

Everyone has said there are three options:

• Archive and Install
  • Upgrade
  • Erase and Install

Well I only saw the Upgrade option while installing... What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do?

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
What does "Archive and Install" do?

Where does it put the Archive? What does the archive have in it? Can you browse the archive and get things out of it? Etc?

The Stig

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
What does "Archive and Install" do?

Where does it put the Archive? What does the archive have in it? Can you browse the archive and get things out of it? Etc?

The Stig

Archive and install creates a copy of your current System folder in a "Previous System Folders" folder and then proceeds to create a brand new install of your OS. From there you can copy anything you want out of the previous folder to the new one if you desire or go back to your old system with a quick copy back...

klb028

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
Wait... Fresh Install isn't given as an option? You have to find it or press certain buttons during loading before you can choose it? I had no idea! How will I know what I need to do?

méloé

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2007
if I do a archive and install will I keep my apps (office-ilife06)
or I am gonna need to reinstall everyting back...... confuse !!
:confused:

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs

You will keep all of your apps, since the Applications folder is untouched. However any applications that had to install items into the system folder (which is a very small minority on the Mac) will not work until they are re-installed or the missing component is moved from the previous System Folder. You will lose some application preferences that were stored in the Library in the System folder but the apps will still work.

Any app you dragged and dropped to install should be fine, most of them with installers should be fine as well, but it all depends on where they needed to install their stuff.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Wait... Fresh Install isn't given as an option? You have to find it or press certain buttons during loading before you can choose it? I had no idea! How will I know what I need to do?

Just figured it out... When selecting which drive to install too, click options.

méloé;4385377 said:

Don't ask the same question twice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.