How do you export HD-DVD? Simple?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Soura2112, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I'm still do not have an HD camera for FCP. I was just curious how you guys get your HD on blue ray? If I plan to get a new camera I want to be sure I can make HD DVDS for people. Do you just buy a external blu Ray?
    Is this a pain or fairly simple. I don't mind a difficult set up one time but doing for each video would be a pain.
    I don't need all the details, just how you pros do it.
    Thanks

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You appear to be mixing up your terminology. HD DVD was in competition with Blu-ray. You can create HD DVDs with DVD Studio Pro and play them on HD DVD players. These disks will play on very few Blu-ray players.

You say that you have FCP; I believe that the current version can also author Blu-ray. You'll need to buy a drive.

3. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I use compressor (In Final Cut Studio 3) to create a BluRay disk image and burn to double layer DVD. I can get up to an hour of HD video on them with decent quality results. Most BluRay players should then be able to play the disks as HD movies.

If you install the Apple Developer tools, you can also edit the Apple bluray templates and insert your own graphics (although this any where near as easy as customizing a DVD in something like iDVD).

Edit: I should probably point out that I don't do this professionally, only for my home videos (holidays, weddings etc).

4. Soura2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Thanks for the info. I know blu ray won the HD war, just using "HD" as the final result. I would like 1080p but it's far from important, 720 will get me by. I'm still on the fence on a camera to buy, plus I need a new Mac Pro. Just wanted to make sure everything can be done without a major hassle.
    Thanks