How do you feel about Apples new Force Touch trackpad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Clark, Aug 7, 2015.

1. The Clark macrumors regular

The Clark

Do you guys like Apple's new Force Touch Trackpad better than the older trackpads? I Personally do not. They don't feel as responsive as I'd like them too. It feels decent considering it's a simulation but it's not sufficent for me. I wanted to buy a new MacBook Pro or maybe even the rMB but I don't know if I could smger used to it.

What are your thoughts on the new TrackPad?

2. Falcon9 macrumors member

Falcon9

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Best trackpad I've ever used.

I'm curious what you don't like about it. Just the feel of the click?

4. HotPopsicle, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015

HotPopsicle macrumors newbie

I don't know what you're talking about, it's perfect. It's amazing. Maybe there is something wrong with yours? Because I have a hard time believing anyone wouldn't like it. If nobody told you it was force-touch, you wouldn't know on mine. It's instant and feels like a button but requires the same pressure everywhere where the old hinge design got progressively harder towards the top.

5. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

I like the new force touch trackpad. I find it more responsive, smoother, and consistent.

6. The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

The trouble for me is that it feels like it hardly goes down when I push it. It feels like there's not enough travel time. The old click is a lot more pronounced which I like.

7. torana355 macrumors 68020

I don't own a laptop that has it but i used it at the shop and loved it.

8. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Even on the "firm" setting?
    On the firm setting to me it "feels" just about the same as Early 13" MBP although not as loud.

9. The Clark thread starter macrumors regular

The Clark

Still felt a little shallow but I'll have to go back to best buy and try it out again.. Maybe I'm making it worse in my head than it actually is.

10. emilg macrumors newbie

emilg

At first it felt kinda wierd but after getting used to it i would never go back to the "old" trackpad.
    Tried out a friends computer with the old one and it felt just wrong/sloppy after getting used to the new one.
    At first I liked it better on the firm setting but nowdays i have it on normal and think that is the best setting.

11. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

My opinion on it is that it is different, but not necessarily worse. I see great potential in the second click though. I'm haven't a bit more trouble adjusting the the keyboard changes though as for that I'd like to have more feedback. I seem to be hitting the / more instead of shift. But again that is coming from an Early 2011 13" MBP.

12. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

And, the force touch pad has no travel - it does not physically move at all.
    Give it a couple of days, and it will feel completely normal. Well, with the force-touch, better than you remember :D The old normal trackpad will likely feel sloppy/clicky by comparison.

13. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I really like the way the force touch track feels and works. I would love for Apple to put the force touch technology on their wireless trackpad.

14. newellj macrumors 601

Ha, excellent humor! ;) I agree. It blows the old "diving board" hardware completely out of the water, through the stratosphere and into space on a trajectory for Pluto. No more need for a force click due to different pressures on different parts of the pad. No more problems with movements or gestures that start at the top and go to the bottom (or vice versa). It's a huge improvement. I used to carry a mouse around - no more.

15. Niarlatop macrumors member

It does have some travel in fact, when you push on it the surface depress a bit. Just not as much as the old one.
    Regarding Force Touch, it's a gimmick for RSI injured people. The amount of pressure required to trigger the second click is too high for anything more than a sporadic use.

Anyway, the regular click requiring the same amount of pressure anywhere on the surface is a big step forward. I love that trackpad.