How Do You Feel About Book Sequels?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bbbensen, May 13, 2008.

1. bbbensen macrumors 6502

After being a fan of the entire Maximum Ride series by James Paterson, I was thrilled to find out that a new book, Maximum Ride: The Final Warning was out! I rushed to Costco to buy it, and I was ready for another thrilling book!

Oh, how I was wrong.

Its bad. I wanted to like it, I really did, but I just couldnt. All of the other books had thrilling scenes that were action packed. Was that in this book? Nope. They went to the North Pole (It might be another frozen place), and tried to stop global warming, and she had a speech to congress! To me, it seemed like a story with global warming as the main character, and all the others as side character. On top of that, the book was amazingly short compared the other novels.

That rant is over. TO ANOTHER!

I dont think many of you have read the City of Ember. Its an amazing book about a city that is under ground, after a WWIII scenario (They are basically the only ones left, but they dont know that they are underground, its just normal for them). I would definatly recommend it. There is also a sequel- The People of Sparks. Its not bad, but its not as good as the original. But then, she made a prequel-The Prophet of Yonwood. Instead of focusing on the answers that we wanted to know, its a book about a girl who wants to fall in love, live in a house, and do good for the world. Its extremely based on religion too (nothing to the religious people out there, it just seems out of place as none of the other books have it). The dialog is cheesy, and the characters all seem 2D. Its a horrible read.

If you just read that wall o' text - read the first 3 Maximum Rides, and the 2 other City of Ember books.

Now: What do you think about book sequels?

2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I dont mind most of them, most are as good as the original book. Take the Alex Rider series for example, Anthony Horowitz made a very good series and put the same effort in to each book so they were all very good! :)