How Do You Feel About iOS 6?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by ghsNick, Sep 19, 2012.

?

How do you feel about iOS 6?

1. An Improvement From iOS 5

32 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Neutral - The Same as iOS 5

16 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. A Step Backwards From iOS 5

24 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. ghsNick, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I'm thinking it's not as good as iOS 5.
    I've never complained about one of my Apple products/updates EVER!
    But this seems like a step backwards instead of forward.

Let's see how the vote goes.

And post why you voted the way you did.

For me Maps, the cheesy color changes on certain apps, Passbook not working, and the blurry look to the dial pad all seem like a step backwards.

I know people ALWAYS say this, but I seriously doubt Steve would have ever allowed this. Seriously.
    With the iPhone 5 being so great I'm afraid to use Maps on it through iOS 6. I'd rather have my iPhone 5 with iOS 5...honest to God. At least until they fix iOS 6...which will probably be when iOS 7 is released with the 5S.

2. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

Not renewing the licence to use google maps (no way google said no, they get advertising revenue for it on top of what apple pays) was a massive mistake.

This will cost apple a lot of sales, I can see. It's already gone viral on twitter.

3. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Oh yeah... because Apple hasn't sold over two million pre-orders for the iPhone 5, and lines in New York haven't started a week early. :rolleyes: This is going to be another breaking record year for Apple, no matter what you may think about how good or bad iOS 6 is.

4. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

I downgraded back to ios5.1.1 on my iphone, but kept iOS 6 on my iPad. Itunes Match seems buggy on ios6, but I mainly downgraded back because of public transit on google maps which apple maps doesn't have. If apple maps gets public transit, then I'll probably upgrade my iphone back to ios 6

5. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I know the sales will be there. But you know, it's about creating a lifelong customer. I feel like many people are switching over from Androids for the iPhone 5 and they're going to be disappointed with iOS 6. Mostly Maps.

I guess my rant is the unknowing nature about if Maps is leading me to the closest place I'm looking for or if I'm going out of my way when I don't need to. There's like 10 Gas Stations by my house and it only list one thats 2 miles away. THat's something to think about. It's like a calculator that works 90% of the time...it's not accurate and you know it...but unless you do the math yourself you'll never be sure.

6. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

The maps application is fresh... You can't expect it to be perfect, or anywhere near the accuracy of Google maps. It would be insane to expect that. Or anything close for that matter. Google has been doing this for year, and you can clearly tell that Apple has not. It takes years to build a database like Google's. The maps do need a big improvement, and they'll get that with iOS 6. Millions of users will be using iOS 6 and they'll be collecting data to improve the maps and make the results more accurate. How do you think Google's maps became accurate? They collected data from their users. Which in frank, is all of us.

I agree that Apple has a lot of work do to, but by no means will this even put a dent in their sales. A million people may dislike maps and choose to buy elsewhere, but there's 10million more waiting to buy an iPhone for the first time.

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

While there's nothing in iOS 6 that captures my attention,
    I'm not deciding yet, other than not to use it for now.

I will wait & see what develops in the coming months.

8. Psyren macrumors newbie

Im not a big fan.

I really liked iOS 5.

Hopefully its just due to an overload of people but the new app store is killing me.

9. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

My Original Droid from 2 years ago had better Map accuracy than this and had turn by turn. So you're admitting we have to take a step BACKWARDS with this Map App? All I'm saying is Apple should have waited until next year to release Maps (and collected more data for the next year) and taken the stupid Blue Status Bars away.

10. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

I never said Apple's maps was not a step backwards, however you can't expect them to improve their database when they have no users. That just doesn't make sense. Even you have to understand that. It's physically impossible to drive all around the world and mark down every single location. Google used their users to collect data, which has made their maps more accurate (And by no means is it perfect) Apple will be doing the same. Sure it might take a bit of time, but as long as there are users, the data will improve. If you see issues with the maps, report them. Complaining about them won't bring any good, to anyone.

Like I said, they have a lot of work to do... But every company starts somewhere. Apple didn't become the $650+ billion dollar company it is today over night.

11. Trager macrumors member

What, no option for "It's a total cluster****, removing or degrading core smartphone functions while offering very little in the way of upgraded user experience"?

12. TheBuffather macrumors 6502

TheBuffather

How anyone can see iOS 6 as generally a step back is beyond me. Sure, a feature or two might me missing/poorly implemented, but the whole OS sure isn't a step back when all things are considered.

13. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

I'm having fun looking at food places that are right by my house (Burger King/McDonalds/Etc) and Apple Maps saying the closest ones in 5-10 miles away...God help me if I need help finding out where I need to go when I'm lost.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Basing my judgement on how good Apple has been with software design, I'm actually puzzled and disappointed at iOS6. I think they have made these ugly random cosmetic changes just to give users more of a newish or upgraded feeling than it actually is. I expect more design updates(fixes based on complaints) on iOS6 than any other previous version.

As far as Maps go. It's not bad, but Google is better by far.

I will not be upgrading my iPad2. At least not any time soon.

15. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Maybe it's doing you a favor. :p

16. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

It looks so ugly going into Mail and Settings. For example, look at the time displayed at the top when going into Safari, it always stays there. When you you at the time going into Settings/Mail it zooms away really quick or comes in really quick. It just looks tacky.

----------

Basically I was trying to name big establishment that have been in their current location for 10+ years and they're not showing up. I can't wait to see what happens when I look for a local/small business ;)

17. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

If you have ever used a TomTom GPS, it's the exact same data that Apple is currently using. TomTom licensed Apple to use their maps data. Now it's Apple's job to build on that. If you find the maps accuracy to be incorrect, that's TomTom's fault, not Apple's.

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

The worst thing I dislike about iOS6 is the Music app. Whoever decided it should be ALL WHITE needs to get pimp smacked!!! Even around 40%. brightness, it's uncomfortable to look at and scroll thru. At 100% it's just unbearable.

19. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

No, it's Apple's fault for releasing it this year. Do I use a TomTom? No. I used Google Maps. So basically you're saying Apple isn't responsible for giving a ****** Maps App to the people?

20. EMAN19 macrumors 6502

These arbitrary cosmetic changes from Apple are stupid. I hope there's a huge backlash.

21. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68020

ghsNick

You're looking at it wrong.

22. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

You really need to read some of the comment above. You just are not comprehending the process of building reliable map data.

TomTom's GPS's are fantastic and amongst the best. I do put Garmin ahead by a little though. Still a very reliable GPS.

If you want to use Google maps, open safari, go to maps.google.com and your problem is fixed. Don't act like you don't have another choice... Because you do.

23. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

With the exception of Maps, which will get better over time if Apple's track record is any indication, iOS 6 is a definite step forward. Just not as big a step forward as we'd like to have seen.

Clearly Apple has the hardware side dialed. They're well ahead of the market. But iOS is behind the competition at this point. I understand that Apple's philosophy behind iOS is to make it as transparent as possible. They want it to fade into the background so you can focus on apps. That's a solid interface design choice, but the current iteration of iOS is straining under the weight of all the piecemeal additions that have accumulated over the last several years.

What Apple needs to do (IMO of course) is rebuild it from the ground up, like they did with OS X on the desktop. Keep the features that are worth keeping but comprehensively revise everything else so that it has a broader feature set, more system wide consistency and a solid platform for another several years of growth.

iOS is showing its age. 6 is an improvement, but not a cure for the top level problem.

24. IMPOSSIBLEMAN macrumors member

Honestly, I like the new app store the most, and the integraion of facebook

However, when I look at the whole list of features i see it as a 5.2 update but not a big major 6.0

I hope they played with the notification center. they could have added some great widgets over there. i also wish they would have allowed us to put more than 12 apps in one folder. 16 could have been great or even multiple screens inside folders

other than that, the whole thing needs innovation i can't think of right now