How do you feel about the app store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ri0ku, Jul 19, 2010.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Its moving very slowly in my opinion... and now with the iphone 4 I think we are already witnessing cannibalising of the ipad app store.

(If you dont agree thats fine its your opinion like this is mine im not trying to start a riot or anything...)

I am slightly disappointed with what the app store has to offer for ipad users... which is why I really would like to do something about it...

I really would love to develop my own game idea for the ipad (I am a Video Games art/design student at Uni) and I have a (what i think...) great idea for a simple... yet addictive game.

Now its easy for anyone to make a post and say "I have a great idea" ... everyone has great ideas everyday... but the thing stopping me from taking my idea further is Coding... which is something I cannot do... I do 3D work and other digital art work but never coding...

Is there any coders around here who would be interested in making some sort of fun game as a hobby in spare time? (and artists and sound guys as well?)

I am thinking students like me might be ideal for this... its something we can do to get together and make some cool stuff... its good practise and would be fun to work as a team

I know theres plenty of development forums out there... but from what I read everyone seems very straight to just shoot people down right away...

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

As most have speculated, a lot of iPad app developers are most likely waiting for the ipad 4.0 firmware release in the fall.

Yes, the iPad app store is lackluster, but the iPhone 4 is not cannibalising it.

3. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I thought about the 4.0 update and that is probably a legit reason for the delay in some cooler apps. I just think the iPhone will always be the more popular device and evidently because of this developers wish to create apps mainly for those devices.

I hope this isnt the case and that it could just be down to the 4.0 update.

4. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

I am not a developer, but I think when you conceptualize ideas for the iPhone and the iPad you have to really consider the size of display. It makes sense for a developer to make an iPhone app that revolves around gathering specific information, but with a good browser and lot of room, on the iPad, there has to be something more compelling.

Personally, i disagree with your basic premise about the app store. Maybe I am just not that sophisticated, but the fact that there is a good browser, email client, calendar, contacts, photo viewer, juke box, video player, decent productivity suite, PDF reader, myriad note taking apps, news outlets, book readers, some games, weather, maps, and communication apps available creates the situation that I can do a hell of a lot on the iPad.

5. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I agree about that I know theres allot of apps that are great like what you have mentioned.. And my iPad is my favourite device. Maybe I'm just thinking about entertainment apps such as games most likely because I'm an artist.

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You need to find a friend or a student like you who has the same passion or enthusiastic about making a game (and can do programming).

Finding someone (skilled) online who has never met you who is willing to spend hundreds of hours working on something is pretty much impossible. If you are willing to shell some money for said person, then it is a totally different story.

In any case, good luck! :)

7. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I guess your right thanks for the good luck! , I would be willing to pay but nowhere near as high as an actual development company. Sadly people i have attempted to talk with from uni who do coding are just too lazy to do something like this.. they would much rather go out and get completely smashed...

Il keep on looking though!

8. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

I've just got my iPad today but have been using the iPhone since 3G, to iPhone 4 ...so I've really got used to the app store on there - I've really found the iPad app store confusing and difficult to navigate. I don't know why, but it seems ridiculously slow IMO, after using the iPhone 4 and the processor/RAM in there the iPad seems very sluggish in general - not quite living up to Apples hype

Also I'm struggling to find apps that I want to download in general, especially as they're quite pricey compared to the iPhone versions - I understand why, but hey I'm obviously too broke from buying Apples hardware!

All that said, it's brilliant and I'm loving it!!

9. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

Perhaps you're underestimating how much effort goes into coding? Writing in objective c is extremely difficult and time consuming - not really something I'd want to take on for fun

Not having a go, just giving you a view from the other side

10. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Hopefully things will pick up again with the OS update... without cool and
    innovative apps, the iPad is never going to realize its potential.

11. applegeek25 macrumors regular

applegeek25

I'd have to agree that at the moment the iPad side of the app store is at least somewhat lacking. However that doesn't mean that EXTREMELY useful apps aren't out there already. You just have to search a bit harder for them than the iPhone side :)

I actually sold my iPhone 3GS and cancelled my contract w/ AT&T because I saw a much much better value in the iPad 3G than the iPhone....not to mention at a much cheaper price.

12. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nono I do understand allot fo work goes into it, I kind of tried it out a few years ago but didn't really interest me, however the same could be said for an artist, modelling,texturing,rigging,animation are also. Difficult and time consuming. However if you really enjoy what you do then you want to create stuff for fun, or that's how I feel anyway.

People would be rewarded by there work people would use there creation and that I think would be a great feeling. If you charged for your app your also getting money back for your hard work.

I really hope to do this someday... Soon as I can get some coders onboard :)

13. heavensblade23 macrumors regular

Only 5% of the apps on the app store are iPad apps (not counting universal apps). That's exclusives, but of course a lot of those aren't even exclusive just iPhone apps re-released in a separate iPad version.

14. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

15. 88Keys macrumors regular

88Keys

I respectively disagree. Tons of communities with well skilled people working hundreds of hours together on collaborative projects. The monome community says "hello".

16. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

The ipad version of the app store is a joke. (I'm not talking about what it has to offer, but how the store itself is laid out)

The iBook store isn't really any better.

I expected a lot better from Apple.....

17. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

So has folks thoughts about the app store changed. I am getting a 16gb wifi for christmas and will have a few $ to spend in the app store.

18. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

There are plenty of great apps in the App Store. Nothing else comes close.

19. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I've not seen the iPhone screen so I can't compare, however there is one aspect of the App store I don't like.

It's the way a select few apps get to the top of the charts and stay there.

It's like a chicken and egg scenario.

You write an app and you need to get a lot of sales to get into the top charts but you can't get into the top charts without a lot of sales.

Then if you are lucky to get into the top charts, then more people see them and buy these top apps as they much be good as they are at the top of the charts, which keeps them at the top of the charts.

It's almost like a celebrity. Famous for being famous.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm sure there must be some great apps and games out there that I've never seen and never get to hear about unless someone out of the blue tells me the name and I search for it.

As I say, I can't think of the answer but I'd like somehow for other apps to get seen by people.

20. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

I have a question about the app store, i have an iPad under the tree for christmas. I am getting a few dollars to spend on apps. I would like to take advantage of some of the low app prices going on right now, but i will not have my ipad till Christmas morning.

So here is my question, can i buy apps today and then instal them at a later date (Christmas day)

21. AML225 macrumors regular

You can buy all the Apps you want on your computer and install them whenever. Just make sure you're getting iPad compatible apps. They're the ones that have the little "+" sign or will explicity say they're for the iPad.

22. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I like it, and I find it convenient with a few exceptions:

- Some reviews are inaccurate and seem fixed (maybe by developer's friends and family?).
    - There should be a way to know if you already own the app, in case you had it before and then removed it from your device for any reason.
    - There are a lot of duplicate, triplicate, etc. apps by same developer but with different app names.
    - The Genius' recommendations many times don't make sense.

and last, but not least:

- Fart Apps, Flashlight Apps, etc. should have their own category: Pranks

23. mrboult macrumors 6502

mrboult

The App store is absolute pants I my opinion.

There simply needs to be more Sub-categories. . . . .

Finding/looking for anything is a joke. If it's not in the 'top 50' you will likely never see it.

Great idea, badly organised!

24. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

That is pretty much what I'm saying.

It's almost like an App has to be popular to become popular.

Unless you can get it purchased by enough people in the 1st place then most other people will never know about it.

As I say, I've no idea how to get over this.

Perhaps Apple needs some best new releases area, or something to give good games or other apps the chance to get off the starting blocks.

Otherwise the big developers are just going to rule the top spots for 99% or the time which I can see as a problem for smaller developers who may have great ideas but not the means to get it OUT THERE so to speak.

25. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I guess it's what you expect. Just this morning I was looking at all the offerings from game loft. I was amazed at what they offered. I personally think the apps are getting better and will continu to get better.