How do you feel about the Mac AppStore?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gokunama, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Simply put, I love it cause it'll make finding a particular kind of app far easier to find, and the rating system as well as written reviews will help me decide whether it's a worthwhile app, but it's so much more dangerous to my wallet, everything's a lot more expensive, and it's all just a click of a button to download.

2. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

I couldn't care less. I have all the software I need at the moment. As and when I want to buy something new or I want a newer version of an application I currently have I'll take a look at it.

I find it quite amusing that some people are just tipping money into Apples's coffers for the sake of it.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

I guess the best way to put it is I am very underwhelmed.

I already wrote a shell script to automatically download and install every app I need when I do a fresh install.

Top that off with the fact that almost every app checks for its own updates and I have essentially no use for the app store. Not to say that it isn't useful, I'm sure it'll help alot of noobs, maybe even the not-so-noobs, but it's not for me.

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I think it's rather cool. Ease of use to find and install software. I just need to watch my budget more carefully now!

5. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Looks promising though the software choice is obviously a bit limited at the moment.

6. Gokunama thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Quite, but like the AppStore, I have no doubt that within a year, some superb apps will make it to the Mac Apptore. Even two years later, it'll be like now, with an app coming out every now and then that just blows me away, and best of all, I don't need to trawl forums and watch YouTube vids to find the better apps, cause those'll be popular and listed at least near the top.

7. MacProDude macrumors member

Generally, I think the best way to sum it up is interested indifference.

I don't expect the majority of commercial software that I use will make it to the app store.

I do expect a lot of small apps/utils/games to pop up from smaller devs. A lot of IOS-like stuff popping up, and some of the existing small app/util market may move over, too.

While I have a lot of that stuff on my iPhone, that's not what I personally use a Mac for. I do heavy-weight apps and some email and occasional surfing. Beyond that, I'm not even at my computer.

If I'm looking to buy something, though, I might buy it from the app store if there's a value-add (for example, better licensing or cheaper cost).

8. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

I downloaded 1 app im not to sure about. forgot what it was im at work now it didn't have any reviews yet. So i am definatly gonna wait till i can see reviews before i download anything else, or get feedback here.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's unbearably slow. I'll be sticking to the normal way of installing apps until there are more apps and it's a hell of a lot quicker.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'm more meh about it. I thought it was interesting to see the app install on the doc as opposed to some intrusive window. I don't like that it leaves the app on the doc, I don't care to have my doc cluttered. Overall it seems ok but I have not laid cash out for anything yet and not sure when I will.

11. alflavor macrumors regular

I like it. I'm new to mac, so could do with an app or two more still, and have been waiting for the app store.

12. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

I still can't download any apps. The program keeps freezing and becoming unresponsive. Such a shame.

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Too many paid apps. I don't like that Apple blocked trials because most people aren't ready to fork out money before trying, at least I'm not.

14. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I think 'meh' pretty well sums it up.

As a user of the iOS app store, it's all pretty familiar.

I suppose it'll be useful for the occasional app, and lower prices would be good. I'll probably use it to buy Apple software in the future - not sure about anything else.

Negative points:
    - I have most of the apps I need already, and the fact that the app store doesn't recognise me as the owner of these is annoying

- Really I don't need 'toy/timewasting' type apps on my desktop - and the bigger apps I use I prefer to get straight from the developer - and be able to read their forums, get updates and emails from them etc. I don't like the way the app store severs the relationship between the buyer and developers.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

For me, this is the biggest negative against the App Store - I can't remember the last time I bought any software for my computer without trying it first, and I don't want to start now!

It's not too bad on iOS devices because the prices are pretty low, but there is no way I'll pay £50+ for some software that might be useless

The ideal solution would be to have in-app purchases enabled on Mac apps and then allow trial versions that can be converted via in-app purchase, but unless and until that happens, I won't be buying much from the Mac App Store

16. Squadleader macrumors regular

I like it.....All in one place.....Angry Birds in wide screen !!!!! :D

17. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Apertur 3 for $80, that´s reason enough to like it for me.
    Also the fact that you can buy Apps individually, instead of the whole suite is great.

I think it has it´s benefits.

It´s very anoying not to have free demo´s, but couldn´t one just go to the developers web site and get it from there?
    At least with some apps I would think that would be possible

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You don't have to leave it on the dock. Just click 'remove from dock' under 'options'.

19. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

+1

Or, just drag it off the Dock, or drag the icon to the Trash from the Dock (you'll note it says "Remove from Dock" when you hover over the Trash while doing that).

jW

20. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

21. Ifti macrumors 68000

I also like it - I think its pretty good!
    Although I wont be spending money on it - maybe a few free apps etc - but I have all the applications I need right now anyway. I may use the MAC AppStore for the odd utility etc, but nothing major.

Just wish I didnt bother buying iLife 11!! All I use is iMovie and iDVD, which I could have downloaded individually now rather then get the whole package!

Anyway, I like it ;)

22. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

I still cannot download apps. This is just ridiculous.

23. rezatayebi macrumors regular

Only 1000 apps on launch day of a ten year old OS :confused:
    Why developers of free apps like VLC, Firefox ... Havent submitted their apps?
    I hope they do it soon.

24. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Maybe some devs don't like Apple's rather strict policies.

25. gewordenzijn macrumors newbie

My App Store Thoughts

I would have liked the OPTION to install the App Store.

Instead, it was bundled with 10.6.6.

I guess I could delete it?

I'd rather visit a developer's website, and download the software from there.

I think it's a neat idea, but again, I wanted the OPTION to install it or not.

Am I too old school?