How do you feel on working with MBP with higher PPI than external display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sikachu, Aug 13, 2010.

1. sikachu macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about updating my Macbook Pro C2D 15'', which is already 3 years old. I'm planning to get the 27'' Apple Cinema Display (finally!) when it come out later next month. I've decided that I'd go with 15'' Core i7 Macbook Pro, but couldn't make up my mind on the screen resolution; Standard 1440x900 or Hi-Res 1680x1050.

The thing that really bugs me that the pixel-per-inch (PPI) of the MBP and ACD. The ACD 27'' has 108.79 PPI, with relatively close to 110.27 PPI on STD MBP, while the High-Res MBP will give me 128.65 PPI. This would mean that the text on the High-Res MBP screen would be a bit smaller.

So, my question would be for the person who're using current ACD (24'' ?) with Hi-Res 15'' MBP or 17'' MBP (which has 113.xx PPI):

1. Does the difference in text size seems noticeable when you switching from one screen to another?
    2. If you set the ACD and MBP to be side-by-side, while you're comfortable looking at the ACD about 2 feet away, are you comfortable looking at the MBP too?

I'm currently working as a developer, so I would use the 27'' ACD to be my main screen for the code, and MBP for the documentation/reference. I'd love to try out and see myself, but unfortunately I'm living in the country that doesn't have  retail store, and having only the reseller which don't really welcome you to move things around and test out (and unable to return the item after you buy from them!)

By the way, if you guys are saying that the difference is not so noticeable, then I would definitely go with Hi-Res. I love the crisp text on 17'' MBP's PPI, but not so sure on using it with the lower PPI screen.

Thank you, and sorry if the question is a bit too long; I just want to clearly state my question :)

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

i know your looking for insights from users with the new ACD.

just wanted to mention that I have one of the older 20" ACDs and just got a high res i7, so while I wait to get one of the 27" ACDs, I have my internal 17" setup as the primary and have the ACD in a faux portrait mode which works
    great for viewing web pages, documentation, and portrait images.

3. sikachu thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you, Eddyisgreat :)

And can you notice the difference in size of text when you looking from/to the ACD and Macbook Pro?

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yes the text on my MBP is smaller than my monitor, but I'm used to it.