Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hssxn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
I have a lexar USB 32GBs and it has its permissions set as read-only and it is formatted as FAT32 and it can't be formatted in disk utility since it is greyed out and it unable to even recognize it there. PLEASE HELP

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I have a lexar USB 32GBs and it has its permissions set as read-only and it is formatted as FAT32 and it can't be formatted in disk utility since it is greyed out and it unable to even recognize it there. PLEASE HELP

Try plugging out and plugging in. If it still doesn't work, try to click on the USB icon, press Cmd+I and change its permissions.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Is it just the FAT32 formatted partition/volume that is greyed out? Try selecting the drive brand name itself just above the partition name and then go to the erase tab and see if you can format.

hssxn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
Usb format

I tried plugging it in and out and it doesnt recognize it overall. also clicking the name just above the partition doesnt work as well. my USB is READ ONLY so i need a way to make it writable again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.