How do you free up RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by devilstrider, Oct 19, 2010.

1. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

I have a 15in i5 with 8 gigs of ram. I'm using 3.59gig.

[​IMG]

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

How do you free up RAM? You close applications that you have running. Obviously, that's not a desirable solution. In practical use, you don't worry about trying to free up RAM. Mac OS X manages memory quite well, so you don't have to think about it. You're not even using half of the RAM you have. Read the links spinnerlys posted, to gain a better understanding, then forget about it and just use your Mac.

4. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm going to be running Photoshop and final cut. Also the ram was cheap and I have money to get the ram so I got it while it was a deal.

5. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

I only asked because I thought using that much was bad. Just moved over from windows.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Using RAM is never bad, when the page outs (swapping) occur, then it is getting into "bad" territory, as the RAM is being copied onto the HDD. You have more than enough RAM to use FCP and PS.

No worries.

Btw, to quote someone, just press the [​IMG] button. To quote several posts, use the [​IMG] button (multi-quote). To edit your posts, use the [​IMG] button.

All these buttons are on the bottom right of the posts.

7. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now that's funny.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I know, my display was mirrored.

9. davidlv macrumors 65816

As said above, you don't need to free up that blue section of RAM, the OS will manage it just fine. However, if you want to do so, run the Disk Utility and Repair Permissions, the result will be almost no more blue used RAM. Not that that is going to make your computer run any better, and you lose the time required for the operation, :cool:.

10. devilstrider thread starter macrumors 6502a

I feel you.

11. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Where do you get that from? Repair Permissions had essentially no effect on my inactive RAM, but it consumed quite a bit of Active RAM while it was running.

Inactive RAM is things like programs you recently closed, which are kept in memory so they start faster next time. Try starting a big application after a fresh boot, then quitting and starting it again. It should start much faster the second time. When something else needs that memory, the OS should free it up, the result being a faster computer.

I've had some issues with inactive RAM, though. Specifically, it doesn't always seem to get freed up when it should based on Apple's definition. Instead it often gets swapped out, which is slow and pointless. With 8gb, you shouldn't need to worry about this much, though. I have 6gb and it is only rarely a problem.

12. davidlv macrumors 65816

Originally saw it posted here, tried it, and it works. Always for me. YMMV

13. Daytona 360 macrumors member

If you are hellbent on seeing the Inactive memory usage as low as possible, open Terminal and type in "purge". (You may need to have Xcode/Developer Tools installed first)

14. 123macman macrumors member

reboot your computer then look at how much ram is free. It should be less because when you turn on and off your computer the ram is erased and any processes not necessary anymore will be forced to quit.