iPad How do you fully restore an iPad to be factory settings?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RDAR, Feb 19, 2014.

1. RDAR macrumors 6502

Just got a iPad Air so I'm going to be selling my iPad 4. How do I make sure that I fully restore it like brand new for the new owner. I keep reading about people not being able to active an iPad because they don't have the previous owner's Apple ID. I've restored a couple of iDevices of relatives on iOS 7 and nothing about it not being able to be activated because of a missing Apple ID. I just go on iTunes and press restore. Is there something else I have to do?

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Just go to settings-General-Reset-Erase All Content and Settings. It will ask you for your password before it resets and you will receive an email that find my iPad had been disabled.

3. kathyricks macrumors 6502

And then what happens? Are all the original apps still there and the apps the original owner added somehow removed? Does the new owner need the previous owners Apple ID to begin using the iPad?

4. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Yes, the original apps are installed just like you took it out of the box. No, the new owner does not need the previous owner's Apple ID. You can restore a couple of times and try it to make sure. When you restore just set up as a new iPad do not connect to iTunes and do not add a pass code. Try it for yourself and you will see that it will restore to just like a new iPad out of the box.

5. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

OK, I just restored an iPad to give you exact details. Do not have it connected to your computer. Settings, General, Reset, Erase All Content and Settings, Erase iPad. (a second screen pops up confirming you want to continue).

iPad goes through reset. Screen will ask for your Language, Choose Wi-Fi (for activation, you can forget Wi-Fi later), Enable Location Services, Set up as new iPad, Apple ID screen Skip this Step link, Agree to terms and conditions, Don't Add Passcode link at bottom of screen, Use Siri, Automatically Send Diagnostics, Get Started. You can now go into settings and forget your Wi-Fi. Now your iPad is completely reset and ready to sell.

6. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Great instructions. Thanks alot!

7. Kiyomi1 macrumors newbie

Kiyomi1

If you have already backed up your iPad with iTunes, you can fully restore iPad by using iTunes:
    Click the File menu and select Devices > Restore from Back up.

8. adam9c1 macrumors 65816

adam9c1

Before you reset all settings make sure find my iPhone is turned off.
    Otherwise when the iPad is setup again user will be prompted to enter your iCloud credentials.