How do you FULLY Uninstall Word + Serial?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pork917, Sep 28, 2007.

1. pork917 macrumors newbie

Long story short, a friend installed the package containing Word on my gf's brand new Macbook, but it was obviously a pirated version with a bad serial so now everytime she is online and using Word it closes and tells her so. I bought her a legitimate copy of Word from Apple but when i try to install it, it continues to use the old pirated serial and doesnt even give me the option to put the new one in. So how can i fully wipe out the old word and its serial out of the system? I am sort of a mac noob, so i REALLY appreciate the help. Thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'd give Remove Office a try.

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remove Office

3. pork917 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did delete it first, but when i re-installed it, it just used the old serial #. it didnt even prompt me to type the new one in at all, so im under the assumption the serial is being installed in a different location

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Odds are the Remove Office tool doesn't remove the Office preference files, which most likely contain the offending serial number. Move these elsewhere then try again.

The file(s) are located in ~/Library/Preferences, where ~ is your home folder, and will be of the form com.microsoft.Office.plist.

5. pork917 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot, I will try this tonight when I have the macbook. :apple:

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Also, I'd use App Zapper. It seems to do a fine job of finding those stupid files that uninstallers seem to leave behind.

7. fishguts56 macrumors newbie

Tried did not work.

I am trying to FULLY uninstall my office 2008 then re-install with a new serial number. I did remove office as well as went into my library and deleted the files in the preferences folder and it did not work. It just kept the same serial number...

what do i do?

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

In your user library find and delete:

• application support/microsoft
    • caches/microsoft
    • preferences/microsoft

In your /Library/ delete the following:
    • application support/microsoft

NOW uninstall and reinstall with the new key.

9. fishguts56 macrumors newbie

whats the difference...

what's the difference between my library and user library....

i deleted the first 3 things you told me to...

10. fishguts56 macrumors newbie

Serial

ok...so i did everything...it worked...i entered my new serial then when i clicked next it gave me THE OLD SERIAL AGAIN!

then i go back into my library and the microsoft folder is still in preferences so i delete it again and enter my new serial all over again then the cycle happens all over again

11. fishguts56 macrumors newbie

help

ok...so i did everything...it worked...i entered my new serial then when i clicked next it gave me THE OLD SERIAL AGAIN!

then i go back into my library and the microsoft folder is still in preferences so i delete it again and enter my new serial all over again then the cycle happens all over again