How do you get a gmail account?

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
In the title I went to gmail.com and I dont see anything about registering or creating an account whats up with that.

katie ta achoo

macrumors G3
May 2, 2005
AP_piano295 said:
In the title I went to gmail.com and I dont see anything about registering or creating an account whats up with that.

there's a "do you need gmail" thread on here somewhere.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Unless they've changed it, you have to be sent an invite from an existing gmail user to obtain a gmail account. Check around the Forums, I've even seen members here who have "PM me for a free gmail invite!" in their sigs... not sure if this procedure has changed...

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I think it is good that Gmail regulates it like this, but it can also be a a pain. I wanted to set up a second account (one for home, one for church) and it was a pain. I had to find someone to invite me, again!

atakordie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
Columbia, SC
If you live in the US and you have a mobile phone, you can get a gmail account easily. Just go to gmail.google.com, look in the lower right where it says "Sign up for Gmail using your mobile phone" and click. You procede through and google will text you a numeric message to your phone, then you put that in to verify you're a real person. Simple. :)

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
atakordie said:
If you live in the US and you have a mobile phone, you can get a gmail account easily. Just go to gmail.google.com, look in the lower right where it says "Sign up for Gmail using your mobile phone" and click. You procede through and google will text you a numeric message to your phone, then you put that in to verify you're a real person. Simple. :)
I didn't know that, thanks.
Why does google do it that way, what does owning a cell phone prove to them that you deserve e-mail, I just don't get it. :confused:

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
No, no, and no with the invites. Anyone can sign up with a mobile phone, check the bottom right of the screen...it's right there.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
DaftUnion said:
No, no, and no with the invites. Anyone can sign up with a mobile phone, check the bottom right of the screen...it's right there.
Oh, this must have changed then - thanks for the info. I thought it was still done solely through the invite process.

atakordie

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2005
Columbia, SC
EricNau said:
Why does google do it that way, what does owning a cell phone prove to them that you deserve e-mail, I just don't get it. :confused:

Well I think that they do that do make sure you don't go out and create 25 accounts for just you, thus taking up over 50 GB of potential space at google. Also, as this is just for the US right now (I think) it lets them control who is getting an account. Lastly, they are probably trying to get more people to sign up with them and to do that, they are making it easier for us.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
atakordie said:
Well I think that they do that do make sure you don't go out and create 25 accounts for just you, thus taking up over 50 GB of potential space at google. Also, as this is just for the US right now (I think) it lets them control who is getting an account. Lastly, they are probably trying to get more people to sign up with them and to do that, they are making it easier for us.
Is it one account per phone number?

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
EricNau said:
Gmail users deserve the exclusivity of being one. We tend to appreciate more of what we don't get easily ;)

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
EricNau said:
Is it one account per phone number?
I'm not sure about the doing it the cell phone way, but once you get one account, there is a place in the lower left of the mail screen where you have 100 invites at your disposal. I've actually never used any of them...I'll trade one for a powerbook. Hehe. :cool:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
EricNau said:
I think it is good that Gmail regulates it like this, but it can also be a a pain. I wanted to set up a second account (one for home, one for church) and it was a pain. I had to find someone to invite me, again!
I just invited myself to create other accounts.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Isn't the reason that they do invites because gmail is still in beta? Whether it is or not, I like having to get an invite to use gmail. It's a great service (the only good, large service that works with mail), and knowing that you need an invite makes it a little bit cooler.