How do you get around the data plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by halopro77, Dec 15, 2011.

1. halopro77 macrumors newbie

Hi, im going to be getting my first phone this Christmas and my parents are going to get me an iPhone (im 15) as long as I dont get a Data Plan. I read online that you need one, so that's where you guys come in :)

So I am going to get an iPhone 3gs or maybe even a 4g under one condition (by my parents part), no data plan because they don't want to pay an extra thirty dollars a month. So my family has a family plan with unlimited texting and 500 minutes talking. If I get an iPhone, is there a way to take off the data plan? I read online (I researched this) that you are forced to get a data plan, which my parents don't want. My parents would be cool if they payed it one time before I get around the data plan. I read online about something called unlocking your iPhone. I had a jail broken Ipod touch before, so i'm not new to the whole jail breaking scene. I'm just confused what exactly "Unlocking your iPhone" does. I'm stuck on AT&T. I also read about doing something on cydia then switching SIM cards (thank god to my parents who kept ALL of their SIM cards from the past on AT&T) and somehow not being charged with data. I dont need a Data plan because all I want to do is text, play music, play games, and use safari WITH WIFI!!! Can anyone shine some light? Thanks

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nope you have to have a data plan. ATT will add it on autmatically even if you just take an old sim from a dumb phone and put in iphone

3. Jmclark macrumors regular

Once you put in a SIM card without a data plan, AT&T wil text you saying that a data plan has been added. Nothing you can do about it.

4. halopro77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I get something in cydia to fix it?? Isn't their a tweak that blocks out going data?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ATT detects the IMEI which you can't spoof

Why not just pay the 15 a month for a data plan?

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Every carrier demands a data plan be purchased for any brand of smartphone. As noted earlier, you can get a basic plan from AT&T for $15 per month.

There is no escaping it. You must pay for the phone & data plan.

7. halopro77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok I told my dad that there is no work around, and he aid its ok. What things fall under the "Data Plan"? Text messages? Sending pictures or receiving texts?

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

nope

data is using email, safari, any apps that need to download anything when not on wifi

9. halopro77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Playing games online? Also how do I check how much I used?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Yea, that would be data. I know ATT has an app that monitors your usage. I think they also send a text when you hit a certain % of your plan

11. halopro77 thread starter macrumors newbie

K thanks for all the help. One last question; Should I get a new Iphone 4 8gb for 100 or a refurbished 16gb for 100? How well do they refurbish them?

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

id personally be totally fine with an apple refurb product. They are top notch

13. halopro77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks for all the help :)

14. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yep, everyone has pretty much said it. AT&T detects your phone and tacks it on. I believe it does it even if you put it in airplane mode and turn on just wifi.

16. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

If you put it in airplane mode you disable the cellular radio, so AT&T wouldn't see you were using an iPhone, but it would make the "phone" part useless.

17. GeniusJon macrumors regular

I don't know about the States, but here in Canada, as long as the iPhone is purchased off contract you don't have to use a data plan.

18. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

The only major US carrier you can use without a data plan is tmobile, but then you're stuck with edge. If AT&T or Verizon (and I'm assuming sprint now too) detect an iPhone on their network they will automatically add a data plan.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well actually if you use it on Tmobile without data then you're just stuck with no data:D
    Or you can always use it also on prepaid at&t or other smaller GSM prepaid companies.

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Sounds like he may be on a family plan so may be stuck with ATT if that is the case

21. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

doh! :eek:

22. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Oh yeah. I totally forgot that. It's improbable to use it without the carrier knowing what kind of phone it is.