How do you get back to the message list after canceling a SMS?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Gigamaster89, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Gigamaster89 macrumors member

Say I'm about to SMS someone, I have the keyboard up and what not, then they text you as you are typing...

How do you cancel/get rid of the keyboard to have the whole screen to read the SMS messages?

(Kind of hard to explain but I hope it makes sense.)

2. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

only way is to delete all text then go back to all messages view, then click back on the messages.... kinda a pain.

3. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

I'd recommend using "select all" then cutting the text and pasting it back when you're done reading the original message.

4. Acronym macrumors 68000

agreed i think this is a small fail on apples part especialy after introducing the landscape text mode, considering when the keyboard is up you have like this much space

----------
    _________

to read the text/ and scroll the screen.

even other apps have decent work arounds airmouse uses the accelerometer(sp?) to hide and bring up keyboard (the the undo option kind of voids that unless you give a second option to "hide keyboard". Or go with beejives idea and just put a small x in the top left/right corner of the text bar to minimize it.

either way they should have this sort of feature in there, even in the 2.x days they could of had it.

/end long post/rant-ish

5. heyp macrumors 6502

they should make it so that if you touch above the keyboard and text input area, the keyboard will minimize... then you tap the text input area to bring the keyboard up just as you do now... i don't understand why this isn't the way it functions already

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Apple should adopt a standard way of making the keyboard go away. I like the way they do it on the spotlight screen. Just swipe diagonally down, starting the swipe above the keyboard.

EDIT: turns out it's not that easy. But if you mess with the spotlight screen long enough you can make the keyboard disappear.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That doesnt make any sense. What if you want to touch the text input in order to delete some text?

But I agree with everybody, Apple needs to put a toggle for the keyboard to go away. AND a button to cancel a text if you accidentally hit Send before you're ready. It would've saved my butt many-a-time when i sent the text to the wrong person... OOPS :)

8. Acronym macrumors 68000

you misread his commentc I highlighted what you misread, you tap the text box to bring up the keyboard as usual and tap in the upper portion of the screen to close the keyboard.

That is probably the best idea, because then you can use the x I mentioned to mass delete text in the box. Much like the webpage and search bar

9. heyp macrumors 6502

thanks for cleaning that up... i knew i hadn't worded that as elegantly as i would have liked

10. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

That makes more sense. The only problem is that when you have a long conversation, the text box gets so big that you can't see the conv anymore.
    My 2 cents is that they should have a swipe down motion tapping on the text input to put the keyboard away... might work :)