How do you get by with low capacity SSD's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 14, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

Do you optibay or use external hd's? I want an SSD for my new 13" mbp but prices and storage limitations are what are holding me back right now.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It would have to be both but at the very least an optibay.

3. rmbrown09 macrumors 6502a

rmbrown09

I really don't use much HD space. Now that Steam is out I will start downloading the games as they come out, but in terms of space needed, I have every application and file I need on here (including Cs5, Xcode, Camtasia, Skype, Ventrilo, Office 2008 etc) and look how much I have used.

If I had a 160 GB SSD, I honestly think it wouldn't be that bad.

[​IMG]

4. Garrus macrumors member

160gb hdd were standard in 2007 on most laptop... and it did a fine job until big hd video :D

5. pyroza macrumors regular

I would get by fine with just a SSD but I have a huge (100+ GB) music collection and an even larger (200+ GB) video collection.

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I have lived with a 128ssd MBA for over a year. Have 63gb available.

I utilize other means of massive storage instead of packing everything I own on it. It is my primary work and personal computer as well with VMware on it as well.

7. psingh01 macrumors 65816

If I had a desktop I could probably live with a smaller SSD, but my MBP is my main machine. I have my iTunes library and I record stuff on my tv tuner for later viewing. Still don't have room for my digital images on my 500GB HDD.

Prices and capacities are also what has kept me back. I would pay once they are 2:1 ratio for SSD:HDD price/capacity.

8. 1BadMac macrumors 6502

1BadMac

9. snouter macrumors 6502a

media (music, video) lives on home server

desktop for video editing

mbp with 128gb ssd for web programming and gfx, attached to 1tb fw800 and 1tb usb2

iPad for chillin

def looking into optibay if it becomes an issue, but it's all for now

10. brentsg macrumors 68040

I'm not using an SSD on my MBP at the moment, but that's only because I need a bunch of virtual machines and I need them local.

For any other normal usage, a 160GB SSD should be more than enough. Most of my data is stored on in a NAS based fashion anyways.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I have two operating systems (10.6 and Win 7 Pro), Solidworks, Creative Suite 4 Master Collection, 3 version of office (2007, 2008, 2010 beta) , Portal (game) and a couple of other apps on a single 80 GB intel ssd. The trick is to scrutinize what's in your Applications folder and what is being installed in those multi gigabyte super packages. You have that trial application but it never really worked for your purposes, so why is it there? Do you really need german to spanish converters if you don't speak german or spanish? Template files? etc etc.

My "junk drawer" is a 500 gb external via fw800 and 6.5 TBs of space on a standalone Windows 2k8R2 Server :D When i'm out and about, I really don't need to access whatever it is I have at home (since i'm probably at school or work anyway) so it's all good.

12. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors 604

thadoggfather

My main concern would be music collection -- I love having a decent amount of music on my laptop on the go, free of needing any external.

But that post about dual booting Win 7 and 10.6 on an 80GB is a relief. Maybe I'll strongly reconsider now.

How has the performance gain been for you?

13. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

64-128GB SSD boot/app drive + 500GB optibay HD. Seems like a simple, and cost effective "system" to me. Check out newmodeous for an inexpensive alternative to optibay.

cheers
    JohnG

14. sn0warmy macrumors 6502a

sn0warmy

I was hesitant going from a 320GB 7200rpm drive to an 80GB SSD drive until I looked and realized I had only used 50GB of space after a year of use.

I finally bit the bullet and just ordered this 80GB SSD:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167023

I have 30GB of music, about 15GB of movies and a few GB of random pictures and documents. I also have the following Applications installed:

Adobe CS5 Master Collection
    iWork 09
    iLife 09
    Mac Office 2010 Beta

I plan on using my 320GB harddrive as an external drive to hold my movies and my Adobe scratch files. I am also going to cut my music collection down to about 10-15GB because who really listens to 4000+ songs??

Here are the 2 main reasons why I decided it was worth it:
    - Aside from being remarkably fast, SSDs run cooler and require less energy than standard hard drives. So it's safe to expect internal temps to decrease while battery life increases.
    - Allowing Adobe to write scratch files to an external drive speeds up the computer's performance immensely because you’re lessening the load placed on your internal drive by splitting read/write between two drives.

15. ptsube macrumors 6502

Just get this optical drive replacement. Then get a Intel X-25m 80GB or more for your OS and apps. The rest goes on the HDD in the Optibay. An SSD is one of the best performance upgrades you can do.

16. dreamsandart macrumors member

I'm on an older MBP with a 160gb drive, it just isn't enough to keep everything I have on the computer. Getting a new MBP on Monday and 500GB will be great, but have plans to get an SSD in the near future and a 500GB SSD is too much cash at this time. But for the price a new OWC 240GB could work.

So I'm planning on either putting a larger disk drive in the DVD bay or maybe better using a 2TB external in mirrored RAID 1 so I have back ups of all my data files on it. And although it means juggling I'd also like a large portable drive for those files so I can carry them easier with me.

Anyone know of a good back-up program for syncing the desktop external and the portable drive together?

17. singhjeet29 macrumors regular

Like this (click):
    [​IMG]

w/ 500GB@7200rpm in the main HDD bay and an SSD in the Optibay. Although I'm still trying to adjust to the SSD, still forget that it can't safe sleep, and have it die accidentally, not that it really matters, considering it boots back in 20 seconds.

18. cyclical macrumors regular

Aside from my MBP (160GB SSD which I haven't gotten around to installing yet), I also have a Windows desktop (2x 1TB). In addition, I use a RAID5 NAS (Qnap TS-459) for archival and media storage.

If I only had the notebook, I would definitely have a hard time getting by with just an SSD.

19. Bosmonster macrumors member

I have a 160GB SSD and it is no issue at all really.

OSX + programs takes about 20GB max, so that leaves about 130GB usable.

I download HD video a lot, but usually either throw it away or back it up after I watch it. At any time I might have 30-60GB of HD video on it. I can't ever see myself getting into space issues.

If you plan on installing a Windows VM the lesser size of an SSD will be a bigger issue, considering you will want at least 40-50GB for a Windows 7 partition.

20. magamo macrumors 6502

I'm using a 160GB SSD, and that's about the size I need. Music and videos do take a lot of space, but older stuff can always go to my 1TB time capsule. With that said, I'm planning on buying a larger SSD to get a bit more space. I don't think I'd ever need an optibay though.

21. mmulin macrumors 6502

Me too but I don't carry it around every time. They are all safely tugged away on an external HDD. But each to his own, right ;)

22. sebgreen macrumors regular

I bought a 120gb SSD

I run a 120GB SSD in my MBP. Cost a fortune when I bought it. At the time it was the biggest available. My machine is lightening fast with it.

After a while I did run out of space. Luckily my machine is usually on my desk so i bought a firewire external bay and put a 1TB drive in.

I have all documents and application on the internal SSD and all non essential files (movies, tv shows, music etc) on the external HD. This means I have about 90GB free on SSD. Reading/writing data to/from the external HD is fast due to it being firewire .

If I do take my laptop anywhere I just don't have access to any movies or music but if I know I will need something from the external HD I copy it onto the SSD.

23. mingoglia macrumors 6502

Just reiterating what others have said.

I think it's quite easy assuming one thing.... that you don't want to carry around all your video/music with you. 100 Gigs goes a long ways without that. Personally I don't keep any of that stuff on my laptop unless I'm traveling. If I'm traveling I'll just bring a long a couple dozen movies and be done with it (I rarely even watch a couple while traveling).

The other option is to put a hd in place of your superdrive. That's easy enough to do.

I often have this conversation with people and they say "being without their 250 gigs of itunes" and 500 gigs of movies at any given time is not an option. For these people I just shake my head and change the subject. :D

24. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

If 128GB is considered "small", I survive by using external hard drives and my iPod. Not idea, but I haven't had any issues with the setup.

25. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I have a (750GB + 1TB) = 1.75TB external FW800 storage always connected to my computer with an Intel 160GB HD. The 750GB disk is my primary storage to keep all my movies, videos and large files, while the 1TB disk serves as my Time Machine.

Alongside, I have another (portable) 500GB FW800 HDD, "daisy"-connected to the main (one on the top in the picture). If I ever need to carry along something large, I'd just copy the file(s) into it and throw it in my backpack.

It works out very well for me.

[​IMG]